Question

Can I send an email with total hours completed by a student using JotForm and Google Sheets?

• 16 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone

I’m having a little struggle with my zap and I need some help, please.

I have a jotform forms, one for class registration which has Students E-mails and the other one is for the class report, and this form the students use to log the studied hours.

so as you all might know that jotform creates a Google spreadsheet once you create a form on their platform(Jotform), so now I have two spreadsheets ( Class Registration & Daily Class Report )

now what I need is to make my Zap check how many hours that student finished in his current phase and send him an email to let him know how many hours he’s done so far.

put in mine that the E-mail address is in a separate sheet from the hours logged on the Daily Class Report sheet

Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Loo,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and it seems like you will need to create a new Zap for this workflow. Here is how I see the Zap for the workflow that you have in mind:

1. Trigger: New Spreadsheet Row in Daily Class Report (Google Sheets)
  2. Action: Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Class Registration (Google Sheets)
  3.  Action: Calculate Total Hours (Formatter by Zapier - Numbers)
  4. Action: Send Email (Gmail or Email by Zapier)

With this setup, your students will be automatically notified of their progress each time they submit new hours in the Daily Class Report form.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Hi @ken.a 
Thanks a lot for give me some of your time and try to help me, I’ll try your method now ✌🏾👦🏾

one more question 😁
which option should I use when I want to do the calculation option, because I see Add option when I tried to choose from the formatter by Zapier - Number 

is that what helps me calculat the total hours for specific student, because what I’m trying to do to have my zap to calculate the total hours for the student who inserted the value YES on a column with the title (Send Me Class Progress)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Loo,

Thanks for giving that a try.

Regarding your question, it looks like the Formatter by Zapier - Number action will not help you calculate the total hours for a specific student. The "Add" operation is used to add a specific number to another number, not to sum a range of numbers. I’m sorry about the confusion about that step.

You can try using Google Sheets' built-in functions to calculate the total hours for each student in a new column, and then use Zapier to retrieve this value.

1. In your Google Sheet, create a new column that calculates the total hours for each student using the SUMIF function.

2. In your Zap, use the "Lookup Spreadsheet Row" action in Google Sheets to find the row associated with the specific student and retrieve the value from the new column with the total hours.

3. Use the "Send Email" action to send the email to the student with the total hours.

I hope this helps! If you're still finding it a bit tricky, we have a team of certified Zapier Experts who can help streamline your workflow. They're pros at this and can set everything up for you. You can reach our Zapier Experts here: https://zapier.com/experts.