Question

Can I send a Slack message with only populated fields from a new Smartsheet row?

• 18 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello

we currently have a Smartsheet and Slack trigger where a new row created in a Smartsheet will send a message to a specific channel in Slack. The Smartsheet has 15 columns is there a way to have the Slack message text content only capture fields that have actual data input into the Smartsheet row.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @AKMekanism,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and it seems like you may be able to achieve this by adding a Filter by Zapier step to your workflow, this way the Zap will only continue if there’s a data on your Smartsheet row.

You can learn more about Filter by Zapier here: 

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction! 😊

Hi Ken

So i understand that part a new row with data will trigger the Zap. I am asking if we can have a field only display in the slack message text we send if the cell has data. Eg Column Heading “Direction” Cell data “North” OR Column Heading “Direction” Cell data “blank”

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @AKMekanism,

Thank you for the clarification.

I did some digging and also tested it out myself, and it seems that there isn't a straightforward method to prevent sending the data if the row in your Smartsheet is empty. However, I have a workaround that you can give a try!

You can utilize the "Text in Formatter - Default Value" action. Within the "Default Value" field, you can input an underscore (_) or the word "Empty". This will enable you to display a specific value when the column is empty.

I hope this workaround proves helpful to you and guides you in the right direction!