Question

Can I search for a user in Mailchimp using a custom field instead of email?

• 23 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hi there, I’m trying to search for a user in mailchimp by a custom field rather than email. The data comes from getform and is available in the zap, but the action to find a subscriber by that field fails. 

Is it currently only possible to find a user by their email address?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @jmac1990!

That’s correct. The Mailchimp Find a Subscriber action is only able to search by email address at present. I found we have an existing feature request open for the ability to search for subscribers using custom values so I’ve added your vote to that. I can’t make any promises of when that will be added but we’ll be sure to contact you as soon as it is!

I would have suggested using Mailchimp’s API Request (Beta) action to search for the subscriber in the meantime, but looking at Mailchimp’s API documentation it appears that it is only be possible to search for subscribers by email or name:
3a29f89d415752ec9fce217aef9ed834.png

So if it’s not a name value in the custom field that you’re wanting to search by, then it won’t be possible right now.

An alternative could be to store records of each subscriber’s details in a third party app such as Google Sheets or Airtable for example. Then you could search the other app to find the relevant subscriber using the custom value, and obtain their email address which you could then use to carry out any desired actions in Mailchimp. Do you think that approach could work here?