Question

Can I schedule a new WordPress post every hour using a Google Sheets row as the title?

• 15 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

hello,
I’m stuggeling finding a solution for a lot of hours so your help might be very helpful.
For me it sounds like the most basic thing but I can't find the answer to it.

So,
I have a google-sheet with a list of 150 titles, i want to post a new title on wordpress every one hour, with additional zap flow, how can i make it go row by row every hour?
or, how can i make it copy the next row to the title every hour?

for example the table is:

1 - hello
2 - world
3 - how are you

what i want to happen on my wordpress site is:

6pm: post title "hello"
7pm: post title "world"
8pm: post title "how are you"

i mean, for me it looks like a basic loop but really i can't find the answer so please help me thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @yoknik!

To trigger the Zap every hour, you can use Schedule by Zapier. It sounds like the part that you’re finding more complicated is going through the sheet one row at a time. 

There are a few different ways you could do this, but here’s how I would do it:

1. Add a column to the sheet. Name it something like “title used” 
  2. Add an ‘N’ in each row of the column
  3. After your trigger, add a Google sheet Lookup Spreadsheet Row action. Set up the action so that it searches the ‘Title used’ column and use the search term ‘N’
  4. In the Lookup row action, there’s an option called ‘Bottom up’, which is asking if you want to start looking through the sheet from the bottom upwards. We want the Zap to find the FIRST row with N in it (ie starting from the top, not the bottom). So set this to false (see image below)
  5. Use the information from the Found row in the Wordpress action
  6. Add an Update Spreadsheet Row step to the Zap and have it update the row that was found, so that the value in the Title used column is now ‘Y’. That way, when the Zap next searches the sheet, it’ll find the next row down (the first with ‘N’ in it). 

So the full Zap will look like this:

1. Schedule by Zapier - trigger once and hour
  2. Google Sheets - Lookup Spreadsheet Row
  3. WordPress - whatever action you want here
  4. Google Sheets - Update Spreadsheet Row

I hope that all makes sense. As I said, there is likely another way to do it, but that’s how I’ve set up similar Zaps in the past 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi @yoknik!

To trigger the Zap every hour, you can use Schedule by Zapier. It sounds like the part that you’re finding more complicated is going through the sheet one row at a time. 

…..

I hope that all makes sense. As I said, there is likely another way to do it, but that’s how I’ve set up similar Zaps in the past 😊

Amazing answer! thank you!! 
BUT! the only problem now is -
how do i post the title in wordpress without having the “N” in the title…?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yoknik 

This would be a new field added to the spreadsheet, which indicates if the row has been used or not.

• Add a column to the sheet. Name it something like “title used” 
  • Add an ‘N’ in each row of the column
Userlevel 1

I think i got it now,

at first read i was confused but now it’s clear,

thank you so much guys for explaining,

gonna test it tonight and tell you if it works as I hope

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I’d love to hear how you get on, I hope it works the way you need it to! 😊