Question

Can I extract words from a numbered list in Google Sheets when a new row is added?

• 20 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I can’t seem to find a simple way (5 steps or less) to extract the content out of a numbered list. 

For example. 

1. passive income
  2. money
  3. income
  4. business
  5. wealth

I want to be able to extract the words and remove the numbers; then put them as separate fields so I can map it to individual sections in another step. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Tina Lopez,

Have you considered using the Utilities in Formatter function, specifically the "Line-item to Text" feature? It might help you separate the fields in the desired way.

a8ad977c33cee090d4902db77c02b9c7.png
(view larger)

If that doesn’t work, could you please share a screenshot of your Zap setup? This will give us more context. Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Please keep us posted! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

I’ve tried that and it doesn’t seem to work: 

I’ve even tried separating via “.” with split text but that doesn’t work. I would have to create more actions to get rid of the numbers - henceforth looking for an easier solution. 

Userlevel 1

This is how it looks like with splitting the text by”.” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Tina Lopez,

Thanks for the additional screenshots and details.

Based on the screenshot, it seems that we can make use of the Text in Formatter - Split Text function. Kindly leave the "Separator" field empty to use the default value. Then, in the "Segment Index" field, select "All as (Separate Fields)". Like so:

2241eaf738e7ccca6a3be3979c498b46.png
(view larger)

The output is going to look like this:

13dfa42485ccce429e3eab50fae09feb.png
(view larger)

Please let me know if this works for you. 😊