Question

Can I create WooCommerce orders from specific Stripe payment links?

• 16 June 2023
  • 9 replies

I am trying to create a payment link that collects a customers address upon purchase in order to use it to place an order through woo commerce with our third party partner. I know this is possible but when creating the zap I am having my trigger as new payment in stripe (this may not be the correct option but the other option descriptions do not sound like they will trigger properly, I want it to trigger any time a product is purchased off a payment link)  but I want it to trigger for a specific payment link IE if I am ordering product A then the trigger associated with product A goes off so an order with that specific product can be put through. 

How can I get the information from a specific transaction so I can create an order with that information within a wood commerce Create Order action?

I was told Code / Webhooks could solve this issue but I am not sure how to set this up properly with Webhooks by Zapier. 

Anything helps and I would love to discuss with anyone on how to solve this problem 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Xelik! Thanks for reaching out in community - we’re glad you’re here!

Hmm, so it sounds like you may be looking to add some conditional logic to the payments, is that right? So, depending on what product the customer purchases changes the action step?

If so, this may be possible without the use of Webhooks! I might recommend taking a look at this article my teammate Danvers wrote on a few different approaches for this!

Does that sound similar to what you’re looking to achieve? If not, feel free to let us know and we’re happy to go from there!

Thank you for this Christina! @christina.d 

It looks sounds a lookup table could work. My issue though is I am trying to pull information from stripe when a payment goes through from a supplement. We have two options for this we are trying to create a solution. After the payment goes through on a seperate platform, Trainerize (not stripe) we were originally going to use a TypeForm to pull all the data (address, product ordered, etc.) from the customer after the purchase is complete but this is not ideal as 1) its a lot of friction and extra work for the customer 2) there is lots of room for error when inputting the data 3) they could miss the email and not put the information in at all. 

Is there a better way to collect that data to put into a lookup table so we can grab the data accurately and put it through to Woo Commerce?

Otherwise our other option is to grab the payment information within the payment link on stripe. The problem I run into here is when we create an event there is no way within stripe to set the event to a specific “type” of payment link. It only allows for any payment link at all. We were hoping to get the customer address and other data from that link but since we can not specify a link we are not able to access that information. How could we solve this with the lookup table if they input their information on the payment link but I cannot access that information within the zap?

Please let me know if this needs further clarification or if you are able to setup a private email chain to discuss this easier. 

Best,

Noah

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Xelik,

I looked into this for you, and it seems like triggering on specific stripe payment links is not available at the moment. That said, it looks like you’re already added to the open feature request for this functionality.

In the meantime, I would recommend reaching out to our certified Zapier Experts to help you streamline your workflow. You can reach our Zapier Experts here: https://zapier.com/experts.

I really wish I could have been more help with your specific workflow. I've been wracking my brain trying to find a workaround, but no luck so far.

Thanks so much for your understanding. I'm here if you need anything else!

@ken.a 

Thank you for your response! Some alternate advice I got outside of making a lookup table were to filter by something specific to the product after a purchase is made. My approach was to filter by price but this makes it a bit difficult as I would have to change the price of all the products and filter by that. Is there another variable or something you know of that I could filter this off in stripe that you have heard of? 

Best,
Noah

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Xelik,

Filtering by price can indeed be a bit tricky, especially if you have a large number of products with varying prices.

I’m not really that familiar with Stripe, but there are several other variables you could potentially use to filter purchases. Here are a few options:

1. Product ID: Each product in Stripe has a unique identifier. If you're looking to filter for specific products, this could be a good option.

2. Metadata: Stripe allows you to add custom metadata to most types of objects, including products and charges. You could add a specific tag or code to the metadata of the products you're interested in, and then filter based on that.

3. Description: The description field can be used to include additional information about a product or charge. You could include a specific keyword in the description of certain products and then filter based on that.

4. Email or Customer ID: If you're looking to filter purchases made by specific customers, you could use the customer's email address or Stripe Customer ID.

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction! 😊

I was able to filter by the product ID! Boy was that hard to find but it was exactly what i was looking for the whole time so thank you much. 

One last question, I am testing my zap and able to create a payment link with a product associated with it and when I tested making a purchase it went through fine and created the order but I never inputted card information on the woo commerce action step and there wasnt much of a step for me to place the card information into. Stripe also only gets the last 4 digits of the card at most. How does woo commerce charge for the order created if there is no card information being collected. I can check on stripe (our end) that we recieved the payment and we are able to refund it, but in woo commerce (our partnerships end) they are not able to check the card information and I want to make sure it is not double charging the customer or that it is charging our account somehow to pay for the product being linked. 

If this needs further clarification please email me at  noahmccashland@xelik.com I would love to hear your insights and thank you all in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Xelik,

It's great to hear that you were able to filter by the product ID and create a payment link with a product associated with it!

WooCommerce uses payment gateways like Stripe to handle transactions. Customers enter card details directly into these secure gateways, not into WooCommerce. When you create an order via a Zap, you're recording a transaction that's already happened.

The payment is processed by Stripe, which then informs WooCommerce to create an order. If you see the payment in Stripe and can refund it, it means the process worked correctly. The Zap should not cause double charging or charge your account; it only records the transaction in WooCommerce. Monitor your transactions to ensure everything is working as expected.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Hi @ken.a 

That is helpful. My only remaining question is this:

We are having our clients purhcase the products of our 3rd party partners. Our clients pay us through the stripe payment link and we get paid for that. The zap then creates the order on woo commerce and the order goes through as expected and the product is shipped to the provided address that the client filled out upon purchase. Does stripe automatically send over the payment information through woo commerce to our third party vendor whose product we are selling? Or how does our third party partner (the one with the product in store that is being shipped) get paid if I do not fill out any payment information within woo commerce? 

If this needs further clarification please let me know!

@ken.a 

Our partner confirmed the money did not deposit on their side and they were never paid for the product. Do you know of a way to create a payment within a woo commerce order on a zap? or is there another way within woo commerce afterward I can create a payment?

Thank you in advance!