Best answer

Can I create new “link clicks” Zap when a new link has been created in our Rebrandly account?

• 12 October 2022
  • 6 replies

We use Rebrandly links for tracking purposes via Slack in our business; however, anytime a new Rebrandly link is created we have to manually create the zap to track it’s clicks via Slack, as Rebrandly does not offer a trigger for 'new link clicks' across the board, only per EACH specific link.

The process is a bit of a pain, creating a new zap every time we have a new Rebrandly link that we want to track.

Is there a way to automate this process, for example, by having the new “link clicks zap” automatically created whenever a new link has been created in our Rebrandly account?

NOTE: Rebrandly trigger option “New Branded Link Click” below is incorrect, as it only allows for triggers on specific branded links, not "any" branded link as it claims it does:

icon

Best answer by Danvers 19 October 2022, 13:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @StephLee 

Good question.

There are no options to create new Zaps programmatically.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @StephLee 

You can look if they provide webhooks functionality. Using Rebrandly webhook and webhook by Zapier, you can setup the trigger, in that case you don’t have to use rebrandly’s zapier trigger.

Unfortunately I don’t believe they offer webhooks :-( I can’t find anything on their website or in my account settings to state that they do.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there @StephLee !

It looks like from your request, the main ask would be to create Zaps automatically when a new link is generated.  As Troy mentioned, Zapier does not have a way to do this at the moment. 

Even if there was a Webhook method that the API supported, the issue is that Zapier is lacking specific functionality to automate Zap creation.  Sorry to not have better news on this -- Happy to let our developers know that you were interested in this via our internal feedback channels.

I did manage to find the below on their website, would any of this be of use using zapier??

Click Events

Get a stream of click events that enables real-time processing of traffic on branded links

Suggest Edits

Click events

As soon as HTTP redirects over your branded links are processed, click event representations are produced.
Data flow includes several synchronous and asynchronous steps including (but not limited to):

• enhancing tracking info
  • applying data quality checks to identify threats and malicious patterns
  • processing metrics at different levels (links, domains, workspaces, etc)
  • persisting data
  • notifying internal and/or customer-specific systems

Composition of click events

Click events are produced including routing data:

• which branded link produced the click event, along with related info such as the branded link's destination URL and its creation timestamp.
  • which query parameters were specified on the branded link at the time of redirection
  • which branded domain was used to create the branded link
  • which workspace the branded link was created in
  • which specific workspace member (teammate) created the branded link
  • which tags and scripts were associated with the branded link at the time of redirection
  • which is the referrer declared for this specific click

as well as tracking data:

• which location* the click event originated from, inclusive of country, region, city and latitude/longitude pair
  • what is the main language configured for the device/agent which navigated the branded link
  • whether the click event is likely produced by a human or by a bot/crawler automatically
  • which category the referrer domain falls in (e.g. if it is a social network, which social network, etc)
  • which device the click likely originated from
  • which browser the click likely originated from
  • which operating system the click likely originated from
  • whether this click can be associated or not with a pre-existing session from the same individual*

*: Location is detected using the source IP address at redirection time. Since source IP address is a personally-identifiable data, the system is committed to throwing away the IP immediately after processing (not stored anywhere) and to using a short-lived, one-way IP hash to support uniqueness check for click traffic.

Webhooks and click-aware integrations

Rebrandly does not officially support pure HTTP Webhooks you can self-configure using the Rebrandly API, but in order to enable integration patterns which include accessing the click data in real-time, several options can be agreed with the final customer.

Double-check our integration with Amazon Web Services S3 buckets, where data is provided in batches of JSON-represented click events over files, straight away in your own S3 bucket.
With Amazon Web Services allowing its users to define hooks on AWS S3 bucket events, we recommend configuring AWS Lambda functions to process clicks as soon as new files are created, as well as to forward them to any other internal system you might have already in place for Data Warehousing, or Customer Relationship Management, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @StephLee 

I’m not an expert but I don’t think that the you’d be able to use webhooks to set up what you need. Specifically, this sentence makes it sound as if that’s not supported: 

Rebrandly does not officially support pure HTTP Webhooks you can self-configure using the Rebrandly API, but in order to enable integration patterns which include accessing the click data in real-time, several options can be agreed with the final customer.

You could always get in touch with Rebrandly and ask them if it’s possible to set up your links so that all branded links also send a webhook to the same address. You could then set up one Zap that would catch any webhook sent to that address. If you do contact them, you can also give them a nudge to ask them to add the option for the Zapier trigger to work across any of your links as they own and maintain the Rebrandly Zapier integration. We have an open feature request asking for the New Branded Link Click to work across links and I’ve added you to that feature request, but it never hurts if an app hears something straight from one of their users :) 

In the meantime, as it’s not possible to automatically create a new Zap, here’s the best workaround that I can think of:

Create a sharing link for one of your New Branded Link Click Zaps. You can either do that from the Zap editor or your My Zaps page:

Then set up a Zap using the Rebrandly trigger New Branded Link. For the action step of that Zap, send yourself an email (or Slack message, or your preferred notification) and include the details of the new link and the shared Zap url. That will a) remind you that you need to set up a new Zap and b) make it as easy as possible for you. 

I know that’s not perfect but hopefully it will smooth out the process for you!