Best answer

Can I connect 2 Zaps using Email and Forms to create a threaded Slack message?

• 4 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi all,

I want to add a zapier email automation to a thread created by another zapier automation.

Extra tricky issue: they need to trigger in the right order.

Set-up:

I have a Form where people can submit some information

That form has AppScript in the background and searches items in other sheets and then sends an email with the results in HTML format.

On each form submit I also have a Zapier automation that sends the curated form submission in Slack 

I want to send that HTML plain text into Slack as well as it contains important information BUT I need it to be appended in the thread of the “Form submit” as to not create extra noise.

I saw the information around threads and Ts but do not understand how to connect the 2 automations and achieve this. Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 4 January 2023, 21:19

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @stelootse 

Good question.

Check out some of these related Zapier Topics for guidance with Slack Threads: https://community.zapier.com/search?q=slack%20thread&content_type%5B0%5D=discussion&content_type%5B1%5D=article&content_type%5B2%5D=question

Action: Slack Send Channel Message

Thank you, Troy - I tried both those things.

I do not understand how to connect there as the option doesn’t appear and I don’t see how to add a zap within a zap. Since each Zap has a single trigger and these are 2 different triggers (form fill and email)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@stelootse 

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured so we can have proper context, thanks.

So this is Zap 1: that works and sends info in Slack

Now I want Zap 2 to send a message to the thread of Zap 1 - I don’t know how to set it up so not sure what to send out 

I see a way to connect in a thread of the same zap but not two zaps together - is that even possible?

Each of the zaps function individually just fine but they’re very noisy to send 2 zaps for essentially the same thing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @stelootse! Thanks for reaching out in community! 

Hmm, is it possible to create a multi-step zap that combines all of these steps into one? This way you can map the info from the previous steps into the subsequent ones?

1. Forms - “New Form Response” trigger
  2. Email Provider - “Send Email” action
  3. Slack - “Create Channel Message” -- map from step 1, 2, or both depending on what you need
  4. Slack - “Create Channel Message” -- for this step you’ll need to map the HTML plain text from step 2 and the time stamp from step 3 into the “Thread” field.

Let us know if you think that could work! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@stelootse

In Zap 2, try using this Zap action: Slack - Find Message

Followed by this Zap action: Slack - Send Channel Message

Make sure to set the Thread timestamp.

Thanks Christina, that is not possible as building that email requires a lot of logic, looking at 3 different Google sheets and all the logic was been written in AppScript already.

@Troy Tessalone that could actually work pretty well, I can’t get the search to work but it should be a good solution and make the trigger have a delay