Best answer

Birthday Automation: Salesforce - GSheets - TextMagic

• 24 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hello! I’m quite new to Zapier, but determined to learn how to do this myself. I’m starting a new job and see a lot of places where workplace automation could streamline my and others’ workflows. I appreciate any and all advice while I wrangle this problem!

The first task I have is to let my boss know when people’s birthdays are, so he can reach out. I have all employee records on salesforce. 

1. Is there a way to write a zap to check a Salesforce report that I set to update daily, and if (SF Birthdate) == date.today, export that data (I’m thinking with Formatter by Zapier, but I’m not sure).
  2. If not, I’m happy to just copy/paste everything into a spreadsheet (presumably Google Sheets, as I have more experience with it, but I’m happy to learn Airtable if necessary). This is an inferior solution, as we are often adding or transferring employees- I would need to stay on top of regularly updating this spreadsheet.

Once I have the data in the spreadsheet, either automatically or manually, then I’d like to send the birthdays to TextMagic. The trickiness here (for me) is getting the data out from the spreadsheet. On Google Sheets, I’m using the GetManySpreadsheets option; this seems imperfect as I can’t just select the correct (birthday) ones, but I think I could probably set up a spreadsheet-to-spreadsheet to select and delete as needed. If I have the data in I can format it and get it into TextMagic without trouble.

Thank you to anyone reading and willing to offer a hand; I’ve been struggling with automating spreadsheets with Zapier for the past few days. I’m pretty tech-y and willing to work to figure it out, but I figure some of the advanced users here might be able to point me in the right direction.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 24 October 2022, 22:05

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @PTraylor 

Good question.

The ideal solution would be to configure a Salesforce automation that triggers when a Salesforce Contact record has a birthday = TODAY, then that would be used to trigger the Zap.

Something like having Salesforce internally set a custom field value of Birthday This Year, which could then be used as the field to reference in the Zap trigger.

That way the Zap only triggers and uses Tasks for Salesforce records that have a Date = Today.