Question

Best way to implement? One-way sync between Airtable view and google sheet.

• 11 October 2023
  • 1 reply

I am attempting to build a zap that will perform a one-way sync between Airtable and Google Sheets. The goal is to have a google sheet mirror an airtable view.

In my specific use case, I need to do this so that a set of sheets mirrors a set of views. I’ve given this one Zap  I built a lot of thought and couldn’t think of anything better than this:

The problem with the way I’ve set this up is that:

• I believe records deleted from a view aren’t added or updated and so the google sheet mirroring the view will be unable to remove a the row corresponding to the deleted record.
  • The “delete row” action in Zapier doesn’t actually delete the row, but clears it. This creates a spreadsheet that may have cleared rows in the middle of non-empty rows.
  • May still lead to having duplicate rows corresponding to a single Airtable row, breaking the logic of the mirror.

Has anyone else attempted something like this or has some sort of more elegant solution than the engineered zap above?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Immigrants Rising Admin 

Good question.

NOTES

• To avoid duplicates, you should include the Airtable Record ID on the GSheet Row in a Column
    • Formula Field: record_id()
    • That can then be used to find/create + update
  • The Airtable Zap app doesn’t have a trigger for Deleted Record
    • That means you’d have to configure a workaround using an Airtable Automation to Delete the Airtable Record and then trigger a Webhook to be sent to fire a Zap to then delete the GSheet Row.
      • Zap trigger: Webhook - Catch Hook
  • Action: GSheets - Delete Row
    • Only deletes the data in the row, not the row
    • You would have to use the GSheets API to delete a row.