Best Practice sin Zap to Task Building (Multiple Tasks in a Single Zap)

• 5 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi there! I am trying to be more efficient in zap/task building and finding I am doing a lot of ZAPS versus leveraging multiple tasks within a single zap.

For example I have multiple zaps into a GS from LearnWorlds for different reasons or data. Is there a way to have all those tasks into the single zap.

Any best practices or opportunity to chat would be awesome!

KataKata 1 year ago

Best practice, I have found, is to keep the following in mind:
1. What happens if a task fails? If you have multiple discrete zaps then everything else will continue to run even if one fails. In you have multiple steps in a zap, nothing with run beyond the point of the error (which you would need to correct and rerun). If your steps need to be sequential, then obviously multistep zaps are going to be preferable.
2. How easy is it for other employees to find/update things? If you have hundreds of Zaps instead of a few multistep zaps, it can get confusing for other people to follow along. So if you go this route, make sure you use a consitent naming convention, make use of folders, and also make use of the “Descriptions” for zaps. I would also recommend renaming steps so that it is very clear what each step is doing.
3. Where are you at with your Zap and Task quotas? Zaps/tasks cost money and you want to minimise the number you use. Fun fact, trigger actions and unsuccessful filter actions do not count towards task usage. So best practice is to try and filter out as much irrelevant stuff as possible early on in your process flows.

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Best practice, I have found, is to keep the following in mind:
1. What happens if a task fails? If you have multiple discrete zaps then everything else will continue to run even if one fails. In you have multiple steps in a zap, nothing with run beyond the point of the error (which you would need to correct and rerun). If your steps need to be sequential, then obviously multistep zaps are going to be preferable.
2. How easy is it for other employees to find/update things? If you have hundreds of Zaps instead of a few multistep zaps, it can get confusing for other people to follow along. So if you go this route, make sure you use a consitent naming convention, make use of folders, and also make use of the “Descriptions” for zaps. I would also recommend renaming steps so that it is very clear what each step is doing.
3. Where are you at with your Zap and Task quotas? Zaps/tasks cost money and you want to minimise the number you use. Fun fact, trigger actions and unsuccessful filter actions do not count towards task usage. So best practice is to try and filter out as much irrelevant stuff as possible early on in your process flows.

This is very helpful! For example, I have a Google Sheets worksheet with sheets for each course our learners take to house course feedback data. Right now I have a zap for EACH course into a designated sheet within a workbook. That would make at least 6 zaps for a single customer into a single gsheet workbook. Seems crazy to me and inefficient.

1. Tasks wouldn’t fail in this case (haven’t yet), and come in as they submit feedback. I didn’t think to do multi-steps here, which is what I was looking for!
  2. I am the only employee managing the zaps right now. I do already have a naming convention and organization in place as we grow.
  3. I have less zaps and more tasks per month, hence why I want to be more efficient with my zaps before just upgrading for more.

So helpful, thank you!