Question

Automating Personalised Reports based on surveys

• 25 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Zapier Community,

I want to create a personality test. By which I mean:

1. Someone completes a series of questions in a survey. Probably Qualtrics or SurveyMonkey (I have the paid subscriptions which allow Zapier connections).
  2. When someone completes the survey, I want to send the data somewhere to create some averages etc.
  3. I want to automate that data be put into a template that includes charts. 
  4. I then want to automate that report.
  5. And send it to the participant.

Has anyone done this using Zapier?

I was thinking that I could create a Zap that puts the data into Google Sheets. Can I then automate the creation of the charts and PDF report? And then send that PDF?

Any thoughts or ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey @knockoff,

Cool idea! While I’ve never build a workflow exactly like this, I think I have a few recommendations:

Presuming that SurveyMonkey and Qualtrics are not giving you the dashboard / visuals you need to compile the report, I might recommend exploring the analytics, documents & dashboards apps that integrate with Zapier:

Getting the charts auto-added into a report might be the trickiest part of this goal, but it’s possible that one the apps mentioned at those links can handle that in a seamless & automated way.

If you can’t find a tool from there, you can string together a steps to perhaps accomplish the goal with free tools. Though it might be quite challenging to perfect! Here are some recommendations:

For handling the averages, if wanting to avoid using custom code to do so, you can consider doing that in the Zap directly with the Formatter > Number action step. It has a “spreadsheet style function” feature among some other more basic math options that can allow you to do arithmetic in the Zap.

Or you could send the data to a Google Sheet. If needing to do some manipulation of the data in Google Sheets, I would recommend using two sheets: Sheet A that you send the raw data to and don’t edit, and Sheet B that pulls in that raw data so you can use GSheets’ formulas like IMPORTRANGE and QUERY

for handling the visuals, finding a way to get an automatic chart without any human interference feels like the trickiest part to automate.

The only free tool I can think of would be Google Sheets combined with Google Slides. If you are able to set up the chart manually in Google Sheets, you can then use Google Slides to pull in that chart every time you have new quiz data to chart. There’s a GSlides > Refresh Charts step that will tell your slide to refresh to render the chart based on your updated data (updated quiz submission).

Best of luck, and looking forward to seeing if others have reccs too!

Userlevel 1

Hey @knockoff,

Cool idea! While I’ve never build a workflow exactly like this, I think I have a few recommendations:

Presuming that SurveyMonkey and Qualtrics are not giving you the dashboard / visuals you need to compile the report, I might recommend exploring the analytics, documents & dashboards apps that integrate with Zapier:

Getting the charts auto-added into a report might be the trickiest part of this goal, but it’s possible that one the apps mentioned at those links can handle that in a seamless & automated way.

If you can’t find a tool from there, you can string together a steps to perhaps accomplish the goal with free tools. Though it might be quite challenging to perfect! Here are some recommendations:

For handling the averages, if wanting to avoid using custom code to do so, you can consider doing that in the Zap directly with the Formatter > Number action step. It has a “spreadsheet style function” feature among some other more basic math options that can allow you to do arithmetic in the Zap.

Or you could send the data to a Google Sheet. If needing to do some manipulation of the data in Google Sheets, I would recommend using two sheets: Sheet A that you send the raw data to and don’t edit, and Sheet B that pulls in that raw data so you can use GSheets’ formulas like IMPORTRANGE and QUERY

for handling the visuals, finding a way to get an automatic chart without any human interference feels like the trickiest part to automate.

The only free tool I can think of would be Google Sheets combined with Google Slides. If you are able to set up the chart manually in Google Sheets, you can then use Google Slides to pull in that chart every time you have new quiz data to chart. There’s a GSlides > Refresh Charts step that will tell your slide to refresh to render the chart based on your updated data (updated quiz submission).

Best of luck, and looking forward to seeing if others have reccs too!

Thanks @ZappinAndy.

Sorry to be clear, from the enduser perspective, i.e. the person who did the survey, I want them to: Complete the Survey by hitting submit > and then receive an email containing a PDF can contains a chart showing their data. 

I suspect this is too hard to do with Zaps. I was just hoping there was a Zap to auto-PDF and auto-attach the PDF and auto send it. 

Thank you for that very detailed response though.

FYI I’m open to custom code and also paying an expert to do this, if they know how.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @knockoff!

For the part of the Zap that would generate the pdf and send it to the person who completed the survey, @ZappinAndy’s suggestion of using Google Slides should work here. If you use Google Slides, you’ll get a link to the pdf download of the presentation, which you could then attach to an email (using an app like Gmail) with Zapier. 

If you want to see how that would look, I’d recommend having a play with the Google Slides Refresh Charts action to see if it does what you need. 

Let us know how you get on, I’d love to know if you’re able to make this work the way that you need!