Best answer

Automating creation of QBO Invoice from data in an Google Sheet... Anybody else doing this?

• 6 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My target invoices will only have 1 Line Item.

So,  I am starting with a list of invoices I need to create every month and trying to create invoices in QBO.

My chain of zaps is in sequence

1. Google Sheets Trigger (new row)
  2. Formatter (to generate Line Items) - only 1 line item really
  3. QBO zap - Find Customer
  4. QBO zap - Find Product
  5. QBO zap - Create Invoice

I have several problems in Step 5

1. In the header section (not Line Items),  setting up the Customer found in Step 3 (Custom tab) does not work.   Test says Customer is not set and fails since its required.   If I hardwire it to something QBO finds through the dropdown,  then Customer setting is remembered (this does not really satisfy my requirements at all, but just something I tried for debugging)
  2. In the Line Item section,  I have tried setting up the fields on Price (from Product found in Step 4) and Quantity from Google Sheet & Formatter (Step 1&2) and then setting up Amount to be an expression on above Price times Quantity.  It sometime craps out saying Amount is not set or sometimes it craps out saying Amount is not calculated right.
  3. If I hardwire everything as a test,  it fails with some cryptic Business Validation Error.

I assume my requirement for an automated QBO Invoice Creation is not all that uncommon.   Can you comment on whether you are doing this successfully.  Would of course love any tips… I’ve now spent a day hacking around with this and I’m stuck

What is wierd is that I got a similar automation to set up Bills (like my Invoicesm, my bill has only single Line Item) working correctly almost the first time with this flow

1. Google Sheets Trigger (new row)
  2. QBO zap - Find Customer
  3. QBO zap - Find Product
  4. QBO zap - Find Vendor
  5. QBO zap - Create Bill
  6. Note:  This flow does not even have the formatter for creating Line Items

So,  why is creating an Invoice so problematic when creating a Bill works as I’d expect?

In both cases, I do need to start with the data in a Google Sheet (1 row per target invoice or bill)

I’ve been using Zapier for several years and consider myself pretty knowledgeable on Zapier.  This is however the first time using the QBO Intuit Zap (and the Line Item concept) and that’s where I am running into problems

icon

Best answer by anatesanStream 1 April 2021, 08:18

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

BTW, except for Step 5 - Create Invoice, all the other steps work as I’d expect.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Also,  the Business Validation Error shows absolutely no detail… Please LMK if there is some way to uncover what happened either on the Zapier side or QBO side to help me debug this further.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @anatesanStream - Thanks for posting! Could you send a screenshot of the issues you’ve outlined in your Step 5?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi again @anatesanStream - I did find this help page that references your “Business Validation Error”: https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-quickbooks#business-validation-error-deprecated-fields

Could you give it a read and see if it addresses that error that you’re experiencing?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sorry for the late response…

I did figure out the problem thanks mostly to the Zapier support guys digging into my error and surfacing some info in the logs that were not visible in the zapier UI

1. The specific error that I had was that I was setting the QBO Invoice to Send Later.  I had assumed this meant that I did not need to set the email to send the Invoice To.  But it was apparently erroring out because the email was a required field.  What made this even more confusing was that the Test Review panel shows this field as optional!   Anyway,  when I fixed the email,  then the Invoice creation worked.     This may be worth documenting in the common problems doc.
  2. It would also be really helpful if Zapier dumped out whatever error QBO is returning so you are not constantly guessing what is breaking under the covers.  I’ve already told Support this… 
  3. I did add Line Items via the Zapier Formatter.   This is essential for both Invoices and Bills (although my Bill seemed to work ok without it, but I did it for Bills as well to be safe)

Must say after it all started working,  the automation was a great thing to have done and well worth the effort.  It saves a ton of time if you are creating a lot (>10) of invoices and bills each month

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Zapier support is very responsive… I’d suggest if you get nowhere in your debugging, after a day or two, reach out to them.  They have always got me unstuck after a few iterations