Best answer

Automatically tag a user in a channel based on keyword

• 29 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

I’m looking to tag a specific person based on the news that is triggered with Google Alert on Slack.

For example, when there is a news about Binance that comes in, I want to tag @Jasmine from the channel. Can someone please advise? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 29 November 2022, 20:12

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Andrii_O 

Good question.

Help article: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496025607181#emoji-0-5

Mentions and notifications

• User mentions: type an open angle bracket, the at symbol (@), the user’s Slack member ID (see below how to find the member ID), and a closing angle bracket.
    <@UG1234567>
  • “Everyone” notification (notifies everyone in your workspace in the #general channel): type an open angle bracket, an exclamation point (!), “everyone”, and a closing angle bracket.
    <!everyone>
  • “Here” notification (notifies active members in a specific channel): type an open angle bracket, an exclamation point (!), “here”, and a closing angle bracket.
    <!here>
  • “User group” notification (notifies all members of a user group): type an open angle bracket, an exclamation point (!), type in “subteam” , a caret symbol (^), the user group ID (see below how to find the group ID), and a closing angle bracket.
    <!subteam^abcde123456>
ratingStar icon Tip

To find a user’s Slack member ID:

• Select the user’s Slack profile.
  • Click More.
  • Copy the member ID by clicking Copy member ID and paste it into your Zap.

To find a user group ID:

• Open Slack in your web browser.
  • Select People & user groups from the left-hand menu.
  • In the People window, select the User groups tab.
  • Select the user group you want to mention.
  • In the web page URL, copy the alphanumeric ID that follows /user_groups/. This is the user group ID.
Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone - thanks for the prompt response!

How can I associate a specific Slack Member ID to a keyword. For example, when there is a news from Binance on specific channel, I want to automatically mention the Slack Member ID associated with Binance.

Essentially I’m looking to build a rule where when there’s company A news, tag Slack member A, when there’s company B news, tag Slack member B, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Andrii_O 

The easiest way to do that is to use Paths by Zapier. In the Path filter, you would need to add the condition you want as “Contains”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Andrii_O 

Good question.

You can use Paths with Filtershttps://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288555917-Add-branching-logic-to-Zaps-with-paths

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @Andrii_O - checking in to see how you’re coming along with your Zap- anything else we can help you with? Or were you able to accomplish everything with paths 🛣

Let us know either way!

Userlevel 1

Yes, thank you!