Question

automatically forward to matter gmail/clio

• 28 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello, 

Has anyone come up with a way to automatically forward email replies to Clio matters? Clio provides maildrop addresses for each matter that allow the user to send or forward emails directly to the matter. When I send an email regarding a case I CC the maildrop address so that the matter receives a copy. I'd like to set up a zap so that the response is also automatically sent to the matter. I could also include the maildrop address within the body of the email. 

I played around with it a few months ago but got busy with other things. I think there's probably a way to do it with mailparser, but I did have much luck.

Thoughts? Thank you. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @JLO!

That’s an interesting use case you’ve got there. So you’re CCing that email address when you send the email but you can’t guarantee that when the person responds, that they’ll use Reply All. Hmmm…

Thinking out loud: what if you added a tag to those emails so when a reply comes in, the Zap recognizes that it’s one you want to send to that maildrop address?

Could that work?

Badge

Yes, I think that would work, but I’m not sure how to do it. Zapier would have to be able to recognize the specific mail drop address. They look like “cc3835f88+matterXXXXXXXXXXX@maildrop.clio.com,” with the “cc3835f88”  being what identifies my firm and the “XXX...” being what identifies the matter, so I can use either “cc3835f88” or “@mail.drop.clio.com” as part of a filter, but I need a way to get it to extract the rest of the address. I don’t know how to get zapier to differentiate between the maildrop address and the rest of the email.

Thank you for your response.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @JLO!

Formatter by Zapier is a really handy tool for pulling out pieces of text from a field. The most efficient way to do it is by using the Extract Pattern function, which is under the Text events. Extract pattern allows you to use Regex to extract specific parts of a piece of text, Regex is a sort of code that tells an app which pieces of information you need. Using Extract pattern will allow you to pull out the the matter from Clio using only one additional step, but you’ll need to work out the correct regex to do that. If you want to learn more about Regex, I like the site Regexr as it allows you to test different expressions, and a quick Google will find you lots of resources.

Another option is to use a few different Formatter Split Text steps. For example, your first split text step would split email address where there’s a + sign, so you would have just ‘matterXXXXXXXXXXX@maildrop.clio.com’ The second step would split the text at the @ sign, leaving you with just matterXXXXXXXXXXX. 

I hope that makes sense, do you think you could use one of those methods to do what you need?