Automate email attachment parsing.

• 22 January 2024
  • 3 replies

I would like to know if Zapier can do what Microsoft Power Automate Flows does?  It is not important to me that every task has a duplicate for each platform.  I am only interested in a few specific tasks.

If Zapier can not do all the things I need, I understand from the good folks at Monday.com that Monday can be used alongside Zapier to automate some processes.

Can a Zapier process be kick started once an email is received whose subject line is something Zapier is looking for?

Can Zapier then open an attachment to this email and parse the lines of the file and then compare this data to the contends of some sort of List?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Thompson, welcome to the Community! 👋

I’m not familiar with Microsoft Power Automate Flows so I can’t say for sure whether Zapier provides all of the exact same functionality. Yes, there’s a Monday.com app on Zapier that would allow you to carry out certain actions in Monday.com, you can view the list of the available triggers and actions for it here: Monday.com > Supported triggers and actions

Can a Zapier process be kick started once an email is received whose subject line is something Zapier is looking for?

Yes it can indeed. There are a number of different email apps you might use to trigger that sort of workflow. You can view those here: https://zapier.com/apps/categories/email

Can Zapier then open an attachment to this email and parse the lines of the file and then compare this data to the contends of some sort of List?

What sort of file attachments are we talking about here? If it’s PDFs for example you could use an app like DocParser to extract the contents of the PDF attachment and then you could compare that against the list. With the comparison against the list are you looking for a match for specific keywords or phrases? Is it that you’re only wanting to carry out certain action if a match is found? If so, if may be worth taking a look at using a filter: Add conditions to Zaps with filters

Hope that helps to get you started. If you have any follow up questions or run into any trouble in setting things up just let us know - happy to help further! 🙂

Hi @Thompson, welcome to the Community! 👋

What sort of file attachments are we talking about here? If it’s PDFs for example you could use an app like DocParser to extract the contents of the PDF attachment and then you could compare that against the list. With the comparison against the list are you looking for a match for specific keywords or phrases? Is it that you’re only wanting to carry out certain action if a match is found? If so, if may be worth taking a look at using a filter: Add conditions to Zaps with filters

Hope that helps to get you started. If you have any follow up questions or run into any trouble in setting things up just let us know - happy to help further! 🙂

It is a CSV file.  It is a popular format for processing information.  Do you have tools to automatically process and parse this kind of file.

Also, can you connect with SharePoint Lists and view and compare data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry for the delay in a reply here @Thompson.

There’s a Formatter (Utilities > Import CSV File) action you could use to extract the contents of the CSV file it they can be accessed and used within the Zap. You can learn more about that here: Import CSV files into Zaps  

There’s a Microsoft SharePoint app that has a number of different actions available such as Find List Item, Create List, Create List Item and Update List Item. You can see all the available triggers and actions for it here: https://zapier.com/apps/sharepoint/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Not sure what sort of comparison you’re wanting to carry out. Is it that you’re looking on only carry out certain actions if the data meets certain criteria? If so you might want to use a filter or paths to add some conditional logic to the Zap for that. You can learn more about those apps here:

Hope that helps. Do let us know if you run into any issues or further questions!