Best answer

Autofill Google Sheets Template from Google Forms

• 31 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Dear forum,

I’m trying to find a way to autofill a template Google Sheet.

The template Google sheet contains a to do list, that needs to be copied into a separate Google Sheet every time someone fills out a Google Form. The to do list itself stays the same, but I’d like to add some info to it that is derived from the filled Google Form.

How can I pull results from the form (or from the responses sheet of the form) into a template Google Sheet containing the to do list?

I can’t seem to figure it out. I hope you can help me find a way.

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 31 August 2022, 11:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Gemma_KRAGT ,

You can do that by using the step from Google Sheets “Copy Worksheet” and use it to create a new worksheet. After that step you can use the step “Update Spreadsheet Row” and inout the sheet ID you just created, then include the information you need. 

If this helps, please mark it as Solved

Userlevel 1

Dear MohSwellam,

Thank you for your answer. I think the solution that you propose is a manual workaround. I want it to be automatically.

So when the Google Form is filled in (and a row is added to the Repsonses spreadheet) it should also automatically make a new spreadsheet from a template, with information from the new response.

Zapier has these autofill functions for filling in templates of Google Docs and Google Slides with responses from Google Forms, but apparently not for a Google Sheet template (the to do list I’m talking about). I’m looking for a workaround with the same result…

Cheers,

Gemma

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Gemma_KRAGT 

Nothing in what Im proposing is manual :) 

The Zap steps will be as follows:

1. Trigger > Google Forms > New Response
  2. Action > Google Sheets > Copy Worksheet (or Copy Spreadsheet, whichever works for you)
  3. Action > Google Sheets > Update Spreadsheet Row

Please see below screenshots

Hope its clear now

Userlevel 1

Sorry for my false accusation, and thank you so much for your explanation!! This worked :). However I split it in two steps (first update spreadsheet row and then copy the spreadsheet), because I use the free version of Zapier….

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Glad to hear this worked for you @Gemma_KRAGT and thanks for sharing how you were able to workaround this on the free plan! 🙂