Question

Auto Creating Subfolders

• 31 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I am trying to create a process for my company. I’m trying to move everyone into the 21st century and move away from inefficient processes. 

The business does car restoration. I would like to be able to create a folder in our drive and to utilize zapier to auto populate two subfolders within the new folder.

Parent folder would be created as {Year/make/model of vehicle} - {client name}

And I would like the process to automatically create two subfolders named ‘Mechanical’ and ‘Bodyworks’

So far I can get the process to recognize the creation of a new folder, but once in the second portion of the process - actually creating the subfolders, I can’t seem to figure out how to make zapier recognize the new folder as the parent folder to insert the mechanical and bodyworks folders.  Obviously I won’t know the names of the folders ahead of time.

Any help is very very greatly appreciated!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @adammrice 

Good question.

Try these Zap steps…

1. Trigger: ???
  2. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [PARENT]
  3. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [SUB1] (Parent Folder would be the Folder ID from Step 2)
  4. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [SUB2] (Parent Folder would be the Folder ID from Step 2)

Hi @adammrice 

Good question.

Try these Zap steps…

1. Trigger: ???
  2. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [parent]
  3. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [SUB1] (Parent Folder would be the Folder ID from Step 2)
  4. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [SUB2] (Parent Folder would be the Folder ID from Step 2)

Well that’s my problem - the trigger is a new folder being created, but I don’t want an action to create a parent for the two subs; I want the two subs to be created in the folder that caused the trigger. (The folder that causes the trigger will be manually created).

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@adammrice

Then try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: GDrive - New Folder [parent]
  2. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [SUB1] (Parent Folder would be the Folder ID from Step 1)
  3. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [SUB2] (Parent Folder would be the Folder ID from Step 1)

@adammrice

Then try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: GDrive - New Folder [parent]
  2. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [SUB1] (Parent Folder would be the Folder ID from Step 1)
  3. Action: GDrive - Create Folder [SUB2] (Parent Folder would be the Folder ID from Step 1)

Won’t the folder ID be different every time a new folder is created?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@adammrice 

Yes, that why you’d map the Parent Folder ID from step 1 using the ‘custom’ option per this help article: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action#set-up-your-action