Question

AT to QBO action test failing: invalid number

• 30 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Hello.

I’m quite new to Zapier. I’ve created one very simple Zap from QBO to Airtable and it is working just fine.

I’m now working on an Airtable to QBO and it keeps failing.

The trigger test works. I’ve made sure my test data has all the relevant fields filled out in AT. I’ve also made sure that I have literal text data (as in a lookup field) rather than a linked field because it didn’t seem to like referencing a linked field. Please correct me if I’ve come to this conclusion erroneously.

A couple of weeks ago I worked on this and received a variety of different failure messages depending on what I tweaked (thus the above conclusion), but I never could get it to work. Today I started from scratch and am getting the “Invalid Number” error. I don’t know what number they are talking about and I don’t find the “Troubleshoot error” link to be terribly helpful.

Thank you for any help you can give.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @chantal 

Can you describe what your automation is doing between Airtable and QBO? Perhaps share some screenshots of your configuration. 

Yes, thank you!

I am creating a new customer (subcustomer, actually) in QBO from a new listing in AT--a new entry to a view.

I’m attaching the error screen, top and bottom to see the info.

I’m attaching the four trigger set up screens and two action set up screens and also the four set up actions screens.

Please let me know what other info I should provide.

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @chantal 

Check these fields.

These fields likely expect the internal QBO ID rather than the friendly values.

You can see the expected values by looking at the dropdown list for each field and take note of the smaller gray value underneath the friendly value.

UPDATE -- do you mean the three digit number under the Job/Parent Customer tab? I select that item? I thought that would make the Zap always reference that customer instead of pulling the unique customer each time the Zap runs.

I’m sorry; I don’t understand.

On that first line item there is the option of Job/Parent Customer or Custom. I used Custom and selected the field name. Where are the gray values you mentioned?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@chantal 

Try this…

Remove the custom mapped values, then look at the list of predefined dropdown options returned to see the friendly values with their internal values in smaller gray font underneath.

That worked for the Customer Type, but doesn’t this mean it will always select that single customer type? It’s supposed to select the customer type that is listed with the record in AT.

It is NOT working on the Job/Parent field because the available list is not the correct list. It’s my subcustomer list and it needs to be my customer list, which is pulled in from another table.

I appreciate your help. I am a step closer but still not quite there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@chantal

Perhaps you can post screenshots with some of the dropdown options for each of the fields in question.

The idea is that if you are going to dynamically map variables to those fields, then those fields will expect the smaller gray value to be passed for each option.

It’s referencing the same data that I’m updating--the subcustomer list. My parent customer table is separate but is referenced in the subcustomer table. That’s the custom field I was trying to link.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@chantal 

Example:

If you’re trying to dynamically map a variable for this field it would expect “749” for ‘test customer’.

“749” is the internal ID for friendly ‘test customer’ value in QBO.

You may need to do some combo of the following:

Lookup additional data from QBO in the Zap (e.g. Find Customer)

Lookup additional data from Airtable in the Zap (e.g. Find Record)

Pass additional data from Airtable to the Zap (populate and pass the QBO internal IDs)

UPDATED

I’ve looked up the lookup :thinking: information and it seems like I’d be creating a conversion table. However, we don’t have one or two items, we have dozens of customers. Plus, I don’t quite understand what I’d be converting them to. ?

The last one you mention, pass additional data...searching hasn’t netted me any info on how to locate the qbo internal id’s for customers.

PLUS, for parent customer, I’m NOT trying to return “test customer”. I’m trying to return “test customer”’s parent customer, which in this case is “sick”.

I’m not sure what to do next.

Thank you.