Question

Asana trigger from update to a specific field

• 3 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Is it possible to trigger a Zap using the Updated Task option but only based on one specific type of update? For example, the action would only be triggered when the task changes Section, but not when the Assignee is changed.

If that is possible, would it also be possible to trigger the action depending on the new Section? Let’s say the task can go from “Open” to “Being handled” or “Done”, but the action only happens when the Section goes from “Open” to “Being handled”.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Laura BC 

As per the API Documentation of ASANA:

modified_at

date-time

The time at which this task was last modified.

Note: This does not currently reflect any changes in
associations such as projects or comments that may have been
added or removed from the task.

That being said, I would believe that the task will be considered Updated when the Status Changes. This you need to test of course before publishing your zap. 

As for “but the action only happens when the Section goes from “Open” to “Being handled”.” , this can easily be done by adding a filter after the Trigger where the Status = Being Handled. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi @MohSwellam! Thanks for the answer! 

Just to confirm, you think the task will be considered Updated only when the Status Changes? Since my issue is actually because other types of changes, such as adding a new Assignee, would also affect the modified_at and date-time fields and trigger the action.

For the second part, great point, that does work! Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Laura BC 

Yes, that is what Im saying. But this is a very optimistic assumption that you need to test before turning on the zap. You can test that by creating a test task, click on Load More so you can see the task, change some fields (not the status) and click Load More. After a few tests, change the status and click Load More, it should show a new test data. 

Got it! I tested it out and sadly the changes in other fields did create a new instance when I clicked Load More.
But thank you for the great idea of test, already helped me learn something new! 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Im glad I was of some sort of help :D 

Another method (which will be a bit complicated) is to use webhooks. https://developers.asana.com/docs/webhooks-guide 

As per the documentation, you can specify what you want the webhook to watch, in this case changes done to a specific field. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I still think this could be solvable with a Filter step. Do we get information about what has updated in the trigger and/or how it has changed? If so we should be able to get only the changes you want with a filter