Best answer

Append text to Google Docs - Says it worked but no text on the doc

• 21 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi,

I meet an issue with Google docs Append text to document.

What I’m trying to do :

Zap 1 : Each week a document is created (easy)

Zap 2 : Each time a client sends a form (with Airtable), I want to copy the questions he asks to the document created in previous step (supposed to be easy).
I use Find document => The document is found
Then Append text to document found => Test is successful for Zapier

I go to the document to check if my text has been added. Nothing

I’m sure that the document I append the text to is the good one (there is only this one in the folder).

I also tried to select the document manually (without the find document step) but same result.

What’s even stranger is that Google docs says that a change have been made a few seconds ago but the text doesn’t appear.
(I even checked if the text was white and so invisible on the doc 😅)

Have you ever met this issue?

Thanks for your insights.

icon

Best answer by Remi 22 July 2020, 12:21

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Remi,

Do you maybe see anything in the Document history? This could help out solving the challenge here.

Maybe you can share some screenshots of your current Zap workflow? This could help us to figure out how you are appending text and see what kind of fields you are using.

Thanks!

~Bjorn

Userlevel 3

Hi @ForYourIT ,

Thanks for your help.

The document history says that a change have been made but only on the title of the doc (see attachments)

Zap 1 : Doc creation

Test OK

Doc created in the right folder

Zap 2 : Find doc & append text

Doc found

Append text

Zapier says its done

But nothing on the doc

Change at 12:08 is the one made by Zapier but it doesn’t show the text I appended.

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Remi ,

Unfortunately I can not reproduce this same issue. Can you please check the following?

• In you “Append” action, make sure you can find your document manually as well. Is it in the folder where you configured the step to be?
  • Can you create a new document manually yourself, and try to append something there with an “Append” step?

Otherwise I think this is an issue where the Zapier support team could have more information.
THank you

~Bjorn

Userlevel 3

Hi @ForYourIT ,

Yep I already tried all of that but still no text appended :(

Even changing the name of the file with no special characters.

I’m gonna try with Zapier support in that case.

Thank you for help

Userlevel 3

Ok I found what were causing the issue.

The doc I created contained the title of the document as the first line.
I used HTML with a <H1> tag but obviously it caused an issue when I want to append a text after that.

I delete the HTML and now it woks perfectly.