Best answer

Any plans to update Google Drive Integration with NEW shortcuts feature?

Google released the new feature (previously in closed-beta) to, “Create pointers to any file or folder in Google Drive with shortcuts

How soon could we reasonably expect Zapier/Google to update the existing Google Drive integration in Zapier to allow for triggers/actions associated with this new feature?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 20 April 2020, 13:12

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @marwan_roxova Thanks for the question!

We don’t have any immediate plans to add triggers/actions based off the new shortcuts feature in Google Drive. 

For the integrations that we maintain (like Google Drive) we take a few different factors into account when we prioritize feature requests including how many users have requested it andhow many users are use the integration in their Zaps. 

I’d love to add a feature request for this on your behalf, could you share a little more about how you would like to use Shortcuts in a Zap? What would that look like and what problem would it solve for you? Thanks!

Sure. This is meant to enhance the current triggers, action, and searches for the Google Drive integration. 

Shortcuts could be an expected step to follow after creating a file in Google Drive, for example, in order to separate where the master file is saved versus where a shortcut file is saved. Someone like me may want to do that to store shortcuts in a shared drive used by members of a team such that anyone given privileges wouldn’t accidently delete the master file. Having master files stored elsewhere gives more choices and level of control.

Providing support for the shortcut feature in Zapier would only encourage more Zapier users to add additional / complement steps in their workflow (expected increase in zap tasks) for those who appreciate the finer control over their files and appreciate the organization of the files in their drive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @marwan_roxova! I’m sorry for the delay in replying to you here. Thanks so much for the extra context, it’s super helpful. 

I've created a feature request asking for shortcut support in Google Drive actions. This will:

1. ​Let the team know that this addition will be helpful for you
  2. ​Track interest in the addition - if other users request the same thing, we'll add their vote to the request
  3. ​Remind us to send you an email if/when we have an update on this

Userlevel 1

I am using the Google Drive shortcut feature and I was looking for the same thing as Roxova. I am using HP Smart Tasks to send scanned PDF contracts files to my Google Drive and I was looking for an automation to make shortcuts automatically based on the file name (if the file contains “Contract”, make a Link in /Path/Contracts, also make a link for the date of upload /Path/2020-05)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Razvan- I have added you as an additional vote for this feature- if/when there is an update you will be notified via email!

Userlevel 1

I would also like to vote for this feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for letting us know that you’re also interested in this feature @raetae. I’ve added you to the request, which lets the team know how many folks would like to see the addition and also means that we’ll send you an email if we have an update. 

Userlevel 1

@Danvers I would also like to upvote this request. Ironically, Zapier just published a blog post about the joys of Google Drive shortcuts, something that Zapier is incompatible with. 

https://zapier.com/blog/google-drive-browsing-features/

Could Zapier’s left hand talk to it’s right hand?

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Christopher D!

I just added your vote to that feature request as well. As for the blog post, ultimately, our blog content is meant to be helpful to everyone and anyone out there, and not just those who use Zapier :) The post makes no mention of the Google Drive integration, but I definitely understand your point, given that it’s a useful feature but not yet available via Zapier!  

Userlevel 1

+1 for this feature!

Userlevel 1

We really need this too

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @el_gabo @eph 

Your vote has been added to that feature request, which means you'll be notified via email when it's been implemented.

Userlevel 1

+1 for this feature and be added to the list

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @giambo, hope you’re doing well, I just added your vote to the list!

Userlevel 1

+1 for this

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You got it @Switch! 🙂 Your votes been added.

This would be an absolute game changer for me. Sorely needed! Upvoting this big time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve added your vote, @vervecreative! We’ll be in touch by email as soon as this feature has been added. :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

+1

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Absolutely, @donovanwatts! Your votes been added to that feature request. 🙂

Userlevel 1

+1

(I think implementing this feature would be the only way to access the “Computers” section in Google Drive, please correct me if I’m wrong)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @chawrx3, I’ve just added your vote to this feature request as well! :relaxed:  

By accessing the “Computers” section are you referring to being able to access the folders/files that are synced to your computer? Or do you want to be able to run shortcuts stored in, or that carry out actions within, the “Computers” section”?

+1

We need to track “new folders or shortcuts-to-folders” added to a main folder. It could be useful in triggers like “When a folder is added...” to have an option for checking also for shortcuts-to-folder and the link for the folder they are pointing too.

+1

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for reaching out here @Net2Work Rete di Imprese and @SWC! I’ve added your votes to the feature request. We’ll be sure to send you both an email as soon as it’s implemented!