Skip to main content
Best answer

Alexa to ClickUp Zap Issue: Task creation voice command not working

This is the previous thread which was closed:

Apologies for getting back here so late. I have had a family member repeatedly in the hospital, and also we are recovering from Covid (we’re fine now). 

So SamB asked me to run a test, which I did, and thought I posted back, but must have gotten interrupted by all that’s going on here.  In the meantime, the thread was closed.   

Based on Sam’s post, I decided to simply delete all previous zaps in case they were creating a ghost in the machine.  Which they were.  So deleting them helped that.  

Here’s where we are now:

What I want this to do is send a task to a Clickup default list by Alexa voice command. 

Alexa will open zapier. I say the trigger phrase (Create a task in Clickup).  It says the follow up phrase -“Task name?”  I say, “Feed the Dog.”  Alexa says “oops, I ran into a problem.  Please try again later.”  When I say “the task is feed the dog, it says “Sorry, I don’t understand.”

The task will send to the proper list in Clickup when testing in Zapier.  HOwever, it will jsut say “sample answer to prompt question.”   

So it tests ok in Zapier, well sort of unless you want to name your task ‘feed the dog.’  It will not send from Alexa.  

Thank for your help, I am back on the thread now.  

Note: I don’t know how the ‘sample question’ thing got in there twice,  It was in there only once before. Still errors.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @LER 

In the Zap action step for the ClickUp Task Name, remove one of the mapped variables for “Task name?”.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I removed it but then it created problems and I couldn’t access Zapier anymore. So I deleted it, started over, and now it doesn’t recognize my trigger phrase.
I am beyond frustrated. 

It says it can’t find any zaps (I’m looking at one)

While I try to figure this out, can someone answer this:  If I ever get this program to send Alexa tasks to Clickup, and maybe 20 times a day send them over, is that free?  Or is it going to charge at some point after it hits a limit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @LER 

Help link about how Task usage is counted in Zap Runs: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496196837261-How-is-usage-measured-in-Zapier

Info about Zapier plans/pricing/tiers + features: https://zapier.com/app/pricing?blockRedirectToPlanbuilder=true

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So if I’m understanding correctly, you can only add 100 tasks (voice commands) per month to Clickup for free?  That won’t work.   I already pay yearly for Clckup and don’t want to pay 20 bucks a month for another program.   The point is to be able to add every small task that crosses my mind to Clickup, to stay organized.  100 tasks won’t last very long.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So to add insult to injury. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I guess 100 free voice tasks is better than nothing if it’s possible to get it working (it won’t let me edit the post from earlier).  Well maybe a paid program might make sense. It;s just a lot when you’re paying for both programs.  But if I can’t get it to work then it’s a moot point. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello, can anyone from Zapier help get this working? Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @LER,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Are you running into an error when using the “Trigger Phrase Spoken” trigger? Or is the Zap not triggering at all? If so, it appears that in this case, you will need to enable the Zapier skill on each of the Alexa devices that you’re planning to use to trigger their Zap.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your response!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you for your reply. 
THe zap does trigger.  Just not doing what I want it to do.

I’ve done it various ways.   
With the follow up phrase (“Task name?”). It says ‘oops I have a problem. ‘

WIth no follow up phrase, it just sends whatever task name is in the “task name box”.  So if the task name is My New Task, that’s what it sends.  It says, “Got it. I’m triggering one zap with your trigger phrase ‘create a task in Clickup.’   And ‘My New Task’ appears on the proper Clickup list.  

What I want it to do is for me to say Create a task in Clickup called ‘feed the dog.” 

Or- say Create a Task in Clikckup.  It says “Task name?”  And I say ‘feed the dog. ‘   Then ‘feed the dog’ appears in my dafault list in Clickup.  Not “My New Task.’ 

It appears that the wrong thing is in the ‘task name’ field, and it won’t let me leave it blank, but I don’t know what to put.   Seems there must be a command that tells it to name your task what you are saying in your spoken command.

Also, it would be nice to be able to easily add a second task without having to go through all the hoops from the beginning, but that would be secondary.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @LER,

Thanks for the clarification.

It looks like you’re running into a bug with the Amazon Alexa integration where Alexa says, "Oops, I ran into a problem" after prompting more details. Our team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. I've added your email address as another affected user. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track and prioritize fixes
  • Allows us to notify you via email if/when this is fixed

Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA, but I’ve added you to the list of users affected by this issue so we can let you know as soon as we have any updates.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok thank you for your help.  It looks like according to another thread that this has been an issue for over a year.  Hopefully they will revisit the issue and try to fix it.  Thx again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You are most welcome @LER! I’m glad I was able to help!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗