Airtable is missing a few features, what do you think?

• 10 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Having worked extensively with Airtable I continuously encountered the same problem: 

Lack of a clear distinction between a dedicated admin UI and user UI. 

Thinking about an admin UI that facilitates conceptual changes to the table. And a user UI that allows CRUD operations on the table. I imagine having this “publish changes” button like you have in Shopify, Webflow etc. (but not in Airtable).

What are your thoughts on that?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I think that’s a great idea!

I’ve created Views in Airtable that I use to trigger Zaps so it’s important that they’re not changed, but any user can go in and make changes without realizing the impact it has. I end up naming the views things like ‘Do not edit!’

@Openside I know you’ve worked extensively with Airtable, do you have any thoughts on this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thanks @Danvers 

Hi @DanAtSideStream - I agree with @Danvers  about using separate Views for Admin/Zaps. You can also make them Personal views so that only you see them so it doesn’t clutter up other’s lists of views.

There are rumors that View Folders will be coming soon to Airtable to group your views into folders which will also be helpful in organizing your admin views.

Finally, we have a new product coming soon that will also be helpful in this regard. You can find out more about it here: https://on2air.com/on2air-amplify