Best answer

Airtable 'Create Record' adding comma to every line item from formatter split text!

Using Formatter to Split Text and output by line item separated by    “,”    

This appears to be working perfectly it looks like this:

input:
   1: [ ] 1x Item 1, [ ] 1x Item 2, [ ] 1x Item 3

output:

1:
   1: [ ] 1x Item 1
2:
   1: [ ] 1x Item 2

3:
   1: [ ] 1x Item 3

Then I’m putting that output into a field in a rich text field in Airtable 'Create Record’.

This is where it’s adding the commas for some reason:

output:

[ ] 1x Item 1
,[ ] 1x Item 2
,[ ] 1x Item 3

Can anyone explain why it’s adding commas and how to get rid of them??? The ‘[ ]’ creates a check box in airtable but it only works if it is the beginning of a new line in the rich text field so the comma breaks it.

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 2 August 2022, 23:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @cmwyeg! Because those lines of text are formatted as line items, they are interpreted as separate items by Airtable, which is why those commas are automatically added. Have you tried using the Line Items to Text Transform within the Formatter to get them into a string of text to sent to Airtable? More info on that, here: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/convert-line-items-into-text-strings

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cmwyeg 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap step is configured in order for us to have more context, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @cmwyeg! It looks like you wrote into our support team about this who identified this as an open feature request. I am going to post their response here for anyone following along: 

I see the issue is that line items are not supported in the Airtable action, causing it to create a new record for each line item. The resolution to this would be line-item support.

The good news is you're not the first user to request this so it's on our radar. I’ve added your name as a vote for this feature which does the following:

• Raises the request with the dev team
  • Gives us a place to track user interest on our end
  • Reminds us to notify you once this become available

We don’t have an ETA of when or if this will happen, but we will definitely email you if it becomes a reality! Keep an eye out for our Zapier Updates in your inbox or on our blog by clicking here: https://zapier.com/zapbook/updates/

Hope this information helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

As soon as we have any updates, we’ll be sure to update this thread as well!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Great news! The Airtable app now offers line item support when creating records. Read more about it: