Question

Affinity / Outlook Integration for Auto Emails based on Status Change

• 15 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi team! Huge noob to Zapier here, this is my first workflow. I’m trying to automatically send a standardised rejection email to applications submitted via our website, and I want them to be triggered when (and only when) I change from one specific status to another specific status (and in no other circumstance).

I.e., in my “New Leads” list entries have a “Status” field. That status always starts as “New Submission.” When I switch it from “New Submission” to “Passed,” I would like that to trigger an automatic rejection email. But not when I switch it from “New Submission” to “Reviewing,” or to any other step of my funnel.

Is that possible? I managed to get as far as setting up a filter that applies to when the status shows “New Submission,” but can’t specify that the endpoint has to be “Passed.”

Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @czatt 

Good question.

Try using this Zap action: Affinity - Field Value Changes

Then add a Filter as step 2 in the Zap.

Userlevel 1

Hi Troy - thank you! Yes, that’s as far as I got. And that allows me to filter the status currently on the field (i.e. “New Submissions”). But not the status I select (i.e. “Passed”). The second part is important because I don’t want an auto email to be sent if I’m moving an opportunity forward, i.e. changing the status to “Reviewing” rather than “Passed.”

I’m not sure if it’s possible to filter on that basis too. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@czatt 

When an Affinity Field value is updated it should contain the value of the field.

You can use the Filter step to set conditions for which field and field value you want the Zap to continue to process.

Post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to give us more context.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your patience, @Troy Tessalone!

So, my trigger is the following (redacting a few things for confidentiality):

From here I go into the following filter:

I take that the “Value Text” field refers to the value currently IN the field I’m referring to. Not what it changes to. I.e. if the field currently says “New Submission” OR “Reviewing,” the Zap continues. I don’t know what to add as an AND to specify that I only want the action to continue if this “Value Text” changes to “Pass” (and not (“Reviewing” or “First Call,” etc).

My next step then is:

I typed in the “From email,” which is not the same as my actual email (it’s a “donotreply” email). Not sure that’s how it works! When I try to select a “To Email,” that should be an email associated with the entry on Affinity for which the Status has been changed, but the drop down does not give me that option. So that’s another point at which I’m stumped.

I think I might be trying to do something too out of my depth here. Thank you for your help, anyway! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@czatt 

The Zap triggers when a Field Value changes (created/updated/deleted).

There should be data points returned in the trigger data payload that indicate the type of change.

The Value Text is likely the new current value from the field value change.

So if you want the Zap to continue when it matches “Pass”, then that would be a condition you set in the Filter.

For the To Email, you may need to add additional Zap steps for Affinity to find the Person and get the Email.