Question

Adding Pardot custom field data to Salesforce task

• 19 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello!

I am stumped on this and am reaching out for help! 

When creating a Salesforce task via Pardot automation, the options are super limited:

Create Salesforce task details

I am looking for a way to include custom Pardot field data in this task. It would be a text area, so should be allowed. Does anyone know if this is possible? And if so, can you tell me how to accomplish this with Zapier?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @mgtms11 

Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry you’re having trouble with your Zap.

I haven’t used Pardot before but custom fields are supported in Pardot integration.

You can check these articles about custom fields:

Hopefully this helps!

Hey! I’m familiar with Pardot fields. I am specifically looking for a way to use Zapier to be able to write custom Pardot field data to the Salesforce task object. Is it not something you can do with Pardot otherwise. Do you have information about how to do this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @mgtms11 

Zapier can’t write the Pardot custom field. Zapier only pulls data from the trigger and then passes it to the action app.

Custom fields should be created in Pardot to pass to the action step in your Zap.

You can check these articles about Pardot:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @mgtms11!

The Pardot integration has one trigger, which is New Prospect, so I’m hoping that’s the one you’d need :)

As for the Salesforce side, I don’t see a Create Task action but we did recently introduce the API Request action, meaning you can create your own custom action by harnessing the app’s API:

This action does require some technical know-how, however, especially with the Salesforce API which is quite robust. This might what you’d be looking to use, but again, Salesforce has a lot of different APIs: https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.object_reference.meta/object_reference/sforce_api_objects_task.htm

Hope that gets you started on the right path!

Hi @mgtms11 

Zapier can’t write the Pardot custom field. Zapier only pulls data from the trigger and then passes it to the action app.

Custom fields should be created in Pardot to pass to the action step in your Zap.

You can check these articles about Pardot:

Sorry I didn’t meant to imply that Zapier would write it - what I was trying to ask was if there is a way for Zapier to take the Pardot custom field data (data already stored in Pardot, wouldn’t need to be created with the Zap) and add it to the SF task. Because as you saw in the screenshot, there isn’t a way to add custom fields to SF tasks using Pardot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @mgtms11,

Have you tried the suggestion of my colleague nicksimard?

The Pardot integration has one trigger, which is New Prospect, so I’m hoping that’s the one you’d need :)

As for the Salesforce side, I don’t see a Create Task action but we did recently introduce the API Request action, meaning you can create your own custom action by harnessing the app’s API:

This action does require some technical know-how, however, especially with the Salesforce API which is quite robust. This might what you’d be looking to use, but again, Salesforce has a lot of different APIs: https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.object_reference.meta/object_reference/sforce_api_objects_task.htm

Hope that gets you started on the right path!

Please let us know if that worked for you. If not, we’re happy to troubleshoot further.

Thanks! 😊

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately I am not an expert in APIs, so I’m not sure this is a viable solution. 

I have read in Salesforce Support portals that Zapier can create Salesforce tasks but can’t find any Zapier information that would support that. Do you know?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @mgtms11 

Sorry I didn’t meant to imply that Zapier would write it - what I was trying to ask was if there is a way for Zapier to take the Pardot custom field data (data already stored in Pardot, wouldn’t need to be created with the Zap) and add it to the SF task. Because as you saw in the screenshot, there isn’t a way to add custom fields to SF tasks using Pardot.

You need to create a Zap for Zapier to gather the information from Pardot.

I have read in Salesforce Support portals that Zapier can create Salesforce tasks but can’t find any Zapier information that would support that. Do you know?

Here are helpful articles about the API request action: