Skip to main content

Hello community,

I need advice on how to help resolve some issues I have been struggling when using Waitwhile and Google Sheets.

I figured out how to add new data from WaitWhile to Google Sheets by making a new row. However, I am struggling with having the same row for the specific client to have the status updated when the client is moved from “Waiting” to “Showing” status.

Currently it adds a new row to with the updated status so a duplicate row with exception to the one cell is updated with the status. 

Here is sample data.

Here is what my zapier flow looks like:

Any advice would be appreciated. I have been testing and researching for two days without success. Thank you!

Hi @lwagner 

Try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Waitwhile - New/Updated Visit
  2. Action: GSheets - Lookup Row
    1. Check the checkbox to create new row if not found
  3. Action: Filter
    1. Continue if found = true
  4. Action: GSheets - Update Row
    1. Map the Row ID from the previous GSheet step

@Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for your quick response. I am trying out the steps you provided but continue to hit roadblocks. 

LOOKUP STEP
So under look up I am confused about what to add for Lookup Column. Which Column should I select? Just one or all columns that contain text to populate in the row.
Look up value - what should it be looking up? All the columns that will have auto-populated data from WaitWhile?

FILTER STEP, it asks
Only continue if... - I don't see "true" as an option to select. And it is asking me to select specific data to input. Should I select the status column for this? And from WaitWhile, not GS data, correct?

UPDATE SPREADSHEET STEP
Row - am I selecting status row (from GS or Waitwhile)?

Any advice? Thank you so much!

@lwagner 

For us to have more context, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode.

You’ll probably want to log the Visit ID from Waitwhile as a column on the GSheet, since that is a unique value, to serve ask your primary key for lookups.

To use GSheets in Zaps, Row 1 needs to be a header row.

Based on your screenshots remove row 1, so row 2 becomes row 1.

@Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for the continued advice. I added the visit ID on the google sheet. I finally (think) I got to the last step to Updating the row and this is where I continue to get the error.

​​​​​​
This is the error that I am getting during this step.

Secondly, I still want to have headers since this is going to be a shared document for multiple people to view.

@lwagner 

The Row field expects the Row/ID variable from Step 2.

I’m going back to basic just adding the new row and not worry about updating the row if changed to a new status. However now I am dealing with new rows added at the very top above the header. I need to have a header and rows created underneath it. Is there no way around this?

@lwagner 

Make sure column A is not hidden and has a value in cell A1