Question

Adding a filter to a zap causes replay to fail with "We didn’t retry ... because the Zap has changed too much."

• 13 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I don’t understand how adding a filter to a zap qualifies it as having been changed too much.

thereby preventing replay in case of error, and making the retroactive fixing of zaps a nightmare.

Can somebody in the know please explain this design choice? I’m only talking about adding a filter,

which is not destructive, and will either cause the next (unchanged) step to execute, or not.

Thanks for any insight.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @stephan, that’s a great question.

It’s not so much a choice as a by-product of the way that the platform is engineered. Adding a step changes make-up of the Zap to the degree that it’s not possible to replay the step, even if that step is Filter step.

Essentially, the task history has a script of what steps it needs to run to re-play those tasks, based on how the Zap ran the first time. When you replay a Zap it will try to run through all the steps it knows where there before. If it is trying to run through those but hits a new action, it doesn’t know how to move forward and so wont be able to continue.

I’m sorry for the frustration with that!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Can you give me an example, please? This is a point of contention for us.

Thanks,

Martin.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @mrjcleaver, I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

Any time that you add or remove a step from a Zap, you wont be able to replay a task as the structure of the Zap (the of steps in it) has changed.

The most common use for replaying tasks is if a connected app experienced a temporary error, causing the Zap to hit an error. When the app is running as normal, replaying the tasks will allow them to work as they should. 

I hope that clears things up!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @mrjcleaver!

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you’d managed to get things working, or whether you could still use some help here. Please let us know :)