Best answer

Adding a assignee to a Jira ticket

• 15 June 2022
  • 2 replies

I am trying to add an assignee to a Jira ticket based on Pagerduty schedule that is already created on the jira project. I used the following steps,

1. Find Issues in Jira Software cloud
  2. Find user on call in Pagerduty
  3. Find user in Jira Software cloud
  4. (missing add assignee action) . 

I can see there is action to add watchers to the jira task but can’t find anything for assignee . This seems to be possible only when creating the ticket .

Any thoughts around this will be much appreciated.

Thank you in Advance

icon

Best answer by christina.d 17 June 2022, 07:51

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ash12 

Good question.

Try using this Zap action: Jira - Update Issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @ash12! Thanks so much for reaching out and welcome to the Community! 🎉

I wanted to pop in and see how you were getting along with this? 
In addition to Troy’s reply it looks like you were also chatting with my friends in support and they had some awesome recommendations. I hope you don’t mind my popping them below in case they’re helpful for anyone else following along:

There could be a couple of ways to accomplish what you need here.

If you are expecting a handful of people in your team to be assignees within this workflow, you can create a lookup table action by adding an additional action step with a Formatter by Zapier action. Here's a link that will further explain how to do this:

https://zapier.com/help/create/format/create-lookup-tables-in-zaps

From that step, you would be getting an actual ID as an output, which can, later on, be mapped to the Jira step with a value that the app recognizes.

If you expect a larger pool of assignees, a more practical option is to export a user list to Google Sheets containing names and IDs. Then, add another action step in the Zap that will --search-- for the name value in the spreadsheet, find a row and have the ID as part of the output data, which can also be mapped later on.

Keep us posted on your success! We’d love to know. 🤗