Best answer

Add PDF as attachment to an email

• 4 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi lovely Zapier community!

Maybe you could help to figure out if it is possible to automate this task:

I have a bunch (100+) of personalized documents that have to be attached to an email and send out one by one meaning that every recipient has to receive its own document.

The documents come in PDF format and will be stocked in Google Drive. For sending out I could use Gmail (pro) or Pipedrive.

Is there any solution for adding personal attachment to each recipient and including a template body text?

Thank you for your ideas!

icon

Best answer by RALaBarge 7 October 2022, 17:07

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Adi, 

If those documents are linked somehow to the recipient then definitely you can do that. 

What is the link between said document and recipient? 

an easy way would be to use something like Airtable or Google Sheets to add the recipient email and attach the relevant document / public URL to be sent

Hi Mohswellam! Thank you for your suggestion. The recipients and documents are not linked. I would manually need to find a document with the person’s name and attach it to his email. To create a file linking the name with the document link would be a separate step in that case. Can that be automated as well?

And in ideal scenario I would need to send the actual file and a link to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Adi , 

In this case, I would suggest you use Airtable.com to create a database of the users and corresponding attachments (unless the name of the file contains the name of the user, this would be a manual step). 

You can do that in Airtable using a very simple form. 

BUT after setting up the Airtable and before actually filling the form, you can have a zap that triggers When a New Record is Created, which then uploads the file to Google Drive (or if in Airtable step you can add the public link of the file so to avoid duplicates, but this will be too much manual work) then it sends the email with the attachment and the public link from google drive 

Hope the helps 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Adi 

If the file in Google Drive and the recipient is one to one… meaning only 1 attachment for a recipient (or at least all recipients get x number of attachments) you could try using one or multiple find file in Google Drive steps. That is if the Google Drive file has the recipient name and you know the recipient name from the trigger step

@GetUWired could you please expand that idea more in detail? Yes, it’s one attachment per recipient.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there @Adi !

Thanks everyone for helping out on this one.  I can confirm that @MohSwellam ‘s idea of using a Google Sheet and having a column for the email address, link to file, and perhaps customized body would allow you to use Zapier to automate this for you.  You would need to build that spreadsheet either manually or as perhaps a CSV export from another tool you may be using to track this data. 

From there a Zap with a Google Sheet trigger and the email actions would let you streamline this.  If you only had an email address or everything but a Google Drive URL from which we can fetch the file, you could include a Find File step, as @GetUWired alluded to, and perform that search automatically when the Zap runs. 

One example version of the Zap could look like:

GSheets/Airtable Trigger => Google Drive Find File Action => Gmail Send Email Action

You are not limited to those apps, of course, you can use any of the 5,000+ we offer on our platform: https://zapier.com/apps/

Hopefully this gives you some ideas!  Let us know if you had more Qs!

@RALaBarge Thank you for detailed instructions. It did work however, there are problems with the attachment since it appears now that some of the recipients are not able to open the file, and originally it was sent in .txt format even though I had specifically set it for PDF. Everything else worked smoothly, so thank you for helping me to solve my problem!