Best answer

add a row to a google sheet that was created by a previous trigger

Hello with the following sequence

Trigger: new opportunity in salesforce

Action 1: duplicate an existing spreadsheet

Action 2: add a row to a specific sheet

I’ve been experimenting with custom actions but haven’t been able to figure this out. Any help is great appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by jesse 19 May 2022, 01:11

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Gabe 

Good question.

Please reference this help topic:

Thanks Troy, I found this article already, but I don’t think it achieves what I’m trying to do. I should have been more clear in my explanation trying again here: 

Trigger: new opportunity in salesforce

Action 1: duplicate an existing spreadsheet 

Action 2: add a row to a specific sheet in the duplicate that was just created

From what I can tell the article you suggested shows how to add a row to a spreadsheet that already exists based on a round robin, but does not show how to add data to a spreadsheet that just was created by the initial trigger. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Gabe 

Disregard the round robin, and focus on the dynamic concept explained in the help topic starting from this section:

The Challenge - Zapier had trouble retrieving custom fields from Google Sheets

Thank you, I’m getting closer but I am unable to select the correct worksheet ID in step 4 of the Solution section. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Gabe 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured in order for us to have more context.

Screen shots below. You can see in the last screen shot that there is only one option for worksheet ID. It is the first worksheet on the spreadsheet, but it is not the one that I need to add a row to. When I test the zap it works as intended except the data is added to the first row of the referenced worksheet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Gabe 

The trick to make this work is to make sure the Worksheet is the first one in the Spreadsheet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Gabe just checking in here to see if you were able to get the last bit of this working by making sure the Worksheet is the first one in the Spreadsheet as Troy had suggested. Let us know!

That did it. Thanks for the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Gabe Wonderful! I’ll sum up the solution here for anyone following along:

1. Check out this article starting from the section titled “The Challenge - Zapier had trouble retrieving custom fields from Google Sheets”
  2. Make sure the Worksheet you select is the first one in your spreadsheet