Question

Action Step - update Trello Card - increase numeric field by 1

• 21 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

We use Trello for design project tracking. When we have a proof ready for a customer, we drop the file on the Trello card, Butler automatically moves it to the “Proof Ready” list. Then Zapier takes over and sends the proof to the customer. The next step in the Zap moves the Trello card from the Proof Ready list to the Proof Sent list. It also updates the custom field, “Proof Sent” with the current date and time. There is also a custom field designed to track the number of times a proof has been sent. To explain, if a customer hasn’t responded to the proof within 2 days, Butler is set up to automatically move the card into the “Proof Ready” list  - that way Zapier sends the proof again. I don’t want to continuously send proofs, so, I have a custom numeric field set up as a counter so that Butler won’t repeat the process more than 3 times. However, I can’t figure out how to make Zapier update the custom field by 1 when it runs. Any suggestions?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VanceAnC 

Good question.

Try using a Formatter > Numbers > Perform Math Operation step in the Zap.

Userlevel 1

I'm not sure how to do that. Can you recommend a source for learning that? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VanceAnC 

Check this article:

Userlevel 1

well, I figured out what I am supposed to do, but it doesn’t work because the initial value of the field is 0 and Zap is reading it as a null value. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VanceAnC 

Try using a Formatter > Text > Default Value step to set the value of 0 if the value is null, else use the passed in value.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @VanceAnC! Just wanted to check in to see if you were able to take Troy’s advice of first setting a default value of “0” and then performing the math operation to increase the count by “1”. 

Let us know - we want to make sure you’re good to go here!

Userlevel 1

I ended up using Butler/Trello to accomplish what I needed. It’s not optimal, because it relies only on the card being moved to the list. Doing it in the Zap would ensure it is counting when an actual email was sent. I’ll explore it more when I have more time. Thanks for checking in!