Best answer

A/B test in Mailchimp

• 27 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello! I hope someone could give me a hand with one thing that seems doable to me, but I cannot figure out how.

Here is a workflow that I am trying to create:

1. A deal enters a new stage in Zendesk sell
  2. Add a tag in Mailchimp (once that is done, Mailchimp will automatically start sending an automated email campaign).

This workflow is easy, but here is where it gets tricky. I have 2 automated email campaigns in Mailchimp which I would like to compare. Mailchimp has an A/B test option, but only for singular emails which are sent once. It is not possible to A/B test the whole email drip campaign.

That is why I was thinking of creating some kind of a filter that would be adding every 1st, 3rd, 5th deal (odd deals) to one Mailchimp tag (so they would be receiving A campaign), while every 2nd, 4th, 6th…deal (even deals) would be added to another Mailchimp tag (so they would be receiving B campaign). That is my way of creating A/B tests that Mailchimp does not have. What confuses me is that filter step, how could I divide those deals into 2 equal groups? Can someone give me a hand here?

Thank you,

Tanya

icon

Best answer by justin.vanos 27 January 2022, 11:32

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey Tanya,

Welcome to the Zapier Community! Happy to help with your question here!

So under the hood, A/B testing just uses division and spreadsheet formulas to determine how to split the A/B test. This does mean you’ll need to add a Formatter step, which will then output a number which you filter on. 

If you’re doing an A/B test with a 50% equal split, you can use a Spreadsheet Style Formula transform under the Numbers Utility action inside of a Formatter step. 

Your formula will look like this: 

(view larger) (Hubspot: https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/how-to-a/b-test-workflow-emails-using-the-lead-rotator-or-zapier)

This will generate a value of 1 or 2. Afterward, you’ll need Paths by Zapier, Path A will generate Tag A if the value from this Formatter step is 1. Path B will generate Tag B if the value from the formatter step is 2. 

Paths are only on Professional plans or higher, if you’re on our starter plan, you can do this with filters, but you will need a duplicate Zap (2 total) where the Filter in Zap A will only continue if the value of 1 is generated. And Path B will only continue if the value of 2 is generated. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this!