Best answer

Update recurrence events in google Calendar by Google Sheets table

• 25 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Hey!

I’m trying to update a recurrence events in Google Calendar by changes in a table I have in Google Sheets.

The idea is -

I have a table of shifts in Google sheets, each shift is a week long. This table is updating when new employees arrive (only future shifts). I want to be able to first of all, create all shifts events by the table (and invite the employees to the relevant event) and update those events if employees changes future shifts (update the name of the event and the attendees). 

Will be happy to hear any suggestion, for now I only managed to create events or updates recurrence but it updates all futures events with the same data. 

Nofar

icon

Best answer by Danvers 1 April 2020, 13:42

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @BKNofar Thanks for your question and I’m sorry in the delay for the reply!

You’re right that the standard ‘Update Event’ action wont update all future recurrences of an event. If you want to add an attendee to event (ie add an employee to that series of shifts) then you can do the following:

1. Add a "Find Event" action to find the next instance of the recurring event
  2. Add a "Add Attendee/s to Event" action and map out the "Recurring Event ID" value from the "Find Event" action as a custom value for the "Event" field.

This means that it’s possible to Add people to an event, but it’s not possible to remove them, sorry about that. My recommendation would be to set up a Zap that tells you (eg a text/email, whichever you prefer) when someone cancels a shift, so that you can do that change manually. 

Alternatively, you could look in to a scheduling app (here’s a list of the ones that work with Zapier), to see if that would be a better fit for managing shifts.