Question

Zapier POST webhooks for website form is submitting with success first time only, doesn't work afterwards

• 5 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi Guys,

New to Zapier here.  I setup a Zap which takes data from a jotform and passes it to the POST webhook to prefill a form on another website and then submit it.  It worked the first time and the website returned the webpage showing confirmation that the form was submitted. 

HOWEVER, the second time I “retest”ed the step (with same email - a mistake on my part), the website returned an error page, whatever, something that wasn’t a confirmation that the submission went through successfully.  I tried again with completely different data, again error page.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this.  I have coded a python script to execute the same POST request to the same form and it works every time I run it.  So it must be something to do with my Zap setup.  Here is the zap:

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @crmuser789 

There is a Code app that supports Python if you want to try that: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@crmuser789 

Try removing the {{ and }} in the URL of the Webhook step.

Check if you need to set Headers and/or Authorization.

I tried removing the braces.  It seems the problem was that if in draft mode, I Retested the Step, it would work.  

There also seems to be a difference between turning ON (the slider button) the zap vs. Publishing it.

with ON, the zap would not work, somehow the last POST step wasn’t using the updated data.

but when I published it and triggered the zap, then the data was all working and the POST was going through.

It must have been that I wasn’t running it on the right version of the zap or something.