Question

Zap for Brex Card Transactions to Google Sheets

• 16 August 2023
  • 6 replies

TL;DR - “How do I take records obtained from Brex using the “Get Card Transactions in Brex” Step, and then append them to the end of a Google Sheet? Am I even on the right path as far as what tool(s) within Zapier to use?”

I’m working on automating some reporting, and one of the data sources is Brex card transactions. I run a significant number of Brex reports for various entities monthly, and am working to remove the manual report pulls from my task list.

So far, Brex does return the desired transaction records when I test “Get Card Transactions in Brex” in step 2, but that’s where I get stuck.

I’ve poked around the “Formatter by Zapier” and “Code by Zapier” steps, but so far nothing seems to align to taking a set of records in key-value pair and turning them into rows that I can digest into Google Sheets, and neither of the Google Sheets steps (lookup & update row(s)) see any data from Step 2 without something in-between.

There’s also probably more nuance here than I even see yet - I was planning to over-gather from Brex in Step 2 and then merge (update/append) the data into the Google sheet, since I don’t know how to update the cursor after each Zap (i.e. I only want the Zap to add rows for new Brex transactions posted after the last update).

To top it off, I’m only about 80% confident I’m even using the right terminology, or perceiving things correctly, as I’ve simply not used anything like Zapier prior.

Any help is wildly appreciated.

(Also, why is there no Brex tag on this post UI? Seems like an oversight.)

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @RobD 

Good question.

It will help us to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with the data returned from the Brex step.

It’s likely the Brex data is returned as an array of line items.

If so, then you can try using this Zap action: GSheets - Create Row(s)

Another way to work with line items is to use the Looping app.

Hi Troy,

I’ve included screenshots below.

I did just re-try the “Create Multiple Spreadsheet Rows in Google Sheets” step, but get the error:

Here are my screenshots:

Edit: Added the above action screenshot for the Google Sheet step. I did watch a video on configuring the GSheet properly - I’ve got a header row, a sample data row, and that’s the extent of my sheet. I’ve tried with blank rows below as well. So I don’t think it’s the GSheet throwing the error.

Thank you!

Rob

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RobD 

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap step 3 is configured.

Apologies, Troy, I’d just edited those in - here they are.

I think I figured it out.

The values I’m selecting in Step 3 above aren’t actually the results, are they. I have to scroll down for those…

i.e. not 

But instead, 

This would explain the issue entirely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RobD 

Yup.