Question

When to use Webhooks by Zapier versus building a Trigger of type REST hook

• 21 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

My app has the ability to post requests to webhook URLs when objects are created or updated. I see in the doc there are two ways to set up webhooks, one is to have the Zap use Webhooks by Zapier as the trigger, the other is in my Integration, to build a Trigger of type REST hook. When should I use one or the other? Webhooks by Zapier triggers are working fine, is there any advantage to building a Trigger into my Integration?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jeffernst 

Here’s a help article about the REST Hook Trigger for the Zapier Platform: https://platform.zapier.com/docs/triggers#rest-hook-trigger

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @Troy Tessalone what the article doesn’t say is why I would build a REST Hook Trigger in my Integration versus just using a Webhooks by Zapier trigger in my zap. Any thoughts on that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jeffernst 

Building a Zap and building a App integration are different things.

A Zap that uses a Webhook trigger provides a webhook URL for the end user to place in the origin app to send notifications about events to fire the Zap.

An App integration that has a trigger allows for an end user to create a Zap and select that preconfigured trigger option w/o having to configure a webhook.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Additional insight to this: 

If you are looking to eventually have your app listed as an App integration on Zapier, Zapier no longer accepts or publishes static hook triggers as they are no different than a Webhook by Zapier trigger. All webhook triggers must follow the rest hooks protocol. https://resthooks.org/

Userlevel 2
Badge

@GetUWired regarding your additional insight above, I want to make sure when you say “static hook triggers” that you’re NOT talking about using a Static Dropdown on a REST hook trigger. Is that correct?