Skip to main content
Question

Webhooks by Zapier - Creating and Updating Tasks in Asana - How Not to Update Task Name?

• 3 July 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello! I’m Looking for some feedback on a Zapier -Asana integration. We are a retreat center and are doing this:

• Pulling registration information via Webhooks by Zapier from our booking software (Retreat Guru) and into Asana.
  • Automatically creating tasks for our drivers from this info to pick guests up or drop them off at airports/bus stations. (separate tasks - one for pick up and one for drop off)
  • If a guest (or staff) updates their travel info in booking software, the Zap updates the Asana task.

What I’m trying to figure out is if there’s a way to manually edit the task name in Asana and then prevent any future Zaps from changing that task name back? Is there a way to keep part of the task name from changing?

For example, once a task is in Asana, our staff wants to add the pick up time manually to the task name so the drivers see it with opening the task. The times are so varied that it’s not possible to select from a drop-down custom field. Once that time is added, we don’t want any future updates to the task via the Zap to overwrite what we’ve manually added. Is this possible? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CAhern 

The concept is to first find the existing Task, then update the existing Task.

Remap the fields you want to keep with the same existing value, edit the fields you want to update.

Thank you @Troy Tessalone ! That makes sense, now let me see if I can do it! I appreciate your feedback. 

@Troy Tessalone  - Do you mind another question on this? I’m struggling with getting it to work, and it may be something obvious that I’m not seeing, or it’s not possible. The Zap only recognizes what we send in - that is, the data from Retreat Guru, via the Webhook, and it creates an Asana Task. 

Once the task is created, we manually add data to a custom field in that task, and we want that Custom Field Value to be added to the end of the task title. 

When an update is made in RG, the Zap triggers again and updates the task and the title, and overwrites the older title. 

When I try to map to the Custom Field directly, it says there is no data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CAhern 

For variables from Step 6, make sure to use an example that has the custom field value populated on the Task.

Once the task is created, we manually add data to a custom field in that task, and we want that Custom Field Value to be added to the end of the task title. 

NOTE: You may want to explore using native Asana Rules for automating parts of this: https://help.asana.com/hc/en-us/articles/14216757795227-Rules

@Troy Tessalone  - Thanks for your reply! The example does have data in the custom field, but I continue to get errors. But if you think it will work, I’ll keep trying. I also like your suggestion about an Asana rule! I hadn’t seen the option for a rule that creates a task name. I’ll experiment with that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CAhern 

Your recent screenshot showing data in the custom field is from Step 17, but for Step 11 you are mapping a variable from Step 6.

You may need to test Step 6 again before testing Step 11.