Question

Webhook (Catch Hook) From Twilio - Failure to find test data

• 18 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I am trying to trigger a Zap from a Twilio Studio flow, Zapier will not pull in any test data from my trigger.

Here is how the Twilio flow is set up:

• A message is sent to a client (SMS, wait for reply)
  • On reply > Make an HTTP request (GET) to Zapier. HTTP parameters include the inbound to, from, and message body (body of the HTTP request was left blank)
  • The URL on the HTTP request is the URL from the webhooks trigger in Zapier

Here is how the Zap is set up:

• Webhooks Trigger
  • Catch Hook
  • [did not enter anything for pick off a child key]
  • I copied the Webhook URL and added it to the Twilio Flow

I followed this blog post’s instructions to try to set this up: 

I’ve also attached screenshots of the Twilio flow for reference.

One more thing to note is that I am testing by having Twilio send me a text to my personal phone number, and then texting back. I don’t really want to use any other application to generate sample date, since my personal phone should work fine because that is what will be happening in real life. I am not using a trial account, and all the address information has been updated on my Twilio account.

Thank you in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @BSlade sorry for the trouble here! I am CCing in @Troy Tessalone who is the author of the post you referenced to see if he has any ideas. I’ll also moving this post to our “Code and Webhooks” part of the forum to try to get you more focused help with this. I’m not quite sure why this isn’t working but I am hoping someone will swoop in with an answer for you soon! 🙏 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @BSlade 

Good question.

The Twilio Studio Flow shown in the screenshot is triggered by an API request.

Please clarify how that is happening. (e.g. via a Zap)

Make sure your Twilio Studio Flow is published.

it would also be help to see how your Zap step is configured.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @BSlade!

There are a few different things that could be going on here.

1. I’m pretty sure the keys for the HTTP parameters should be “To”, “From”, and “Body”, as opposed to the keys starting with “Inbound” that you currently have.
  2. Have you confirmed that the phone numbers begin with “+[Country Code]” in your Catch Hook step? Without this, Twilio will not send the message.
  3. Have you checked your Zapier logs to see whether the tests are even reaching Zapier, if/where they’re failing, or perhaps getting stuck in Twilio?
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Todd Harper 

I’m pretty sure the keys for the HTTP parameters should be “To”, “From”, and “Body”, as opposed to the keys starting with “Inbound” that you currently have.

These don’t really matter, because you can label your HTTP variables however for the data being sent to the Zap webhook trigger.

I got it to work by switching the http request in the Studio Flow to POST, and by switching the settings associated with the active phone number to also POST to the Zapier Webhook (see the attached screenshot).

My main concern now is that in order to run any other Zaps that call a Twilio Webhook, I will need to have a brand new phone number, since it seems that this phone number now will only talk specifically to that Zapier Webhook. That is fine for now, but we do have more ideas of how utilize Twilio. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@BSlade

Multiple Twilio Phone Numbers can use the same Twilio Studio Flow.

You can add logic within the Twilio Studio Flow to have different paths that lead to different HTTP reuqests, or you can make the HTTP request dynamic by changing the Webhook URL ID.

With Webhooks you can create these relationships:

• 1:1
  • MANY:1
  • 1:MANY

Thanks, Troy. Do you have any examples of how you would set up the MANY:1 or the 1:MANY so I can reference them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@BSlade 

Webhook help articles: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

Below is an example of 1:MANY

Great, thank you!