Question

Webhook automation with Google Sheets

• 14 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I need to send up to 2,000 unpaid (OPEN) invoices to clients and I do NOT want to log into the invoice software to click 2,000 buttons.

So, I have javascript that will create an excel spreadsheet of all invoices (OPEN, PAID and VOID).  I take this excel spreadsheet and copy/paste to a Google Sheet.

I have set up a Zap that is triggered when a “New or Updated Spreadsheet Row” is created.  This is the Trigger or Step 1 of the zap.  In this spreadsheet is the invoiceID. the invoiceID is used in the invoiceURL that will be used to re-send the invoice.

Step 2 of the Zap is to Post a webhook that will fire off the invoice.  I can get it to work one time, BUT ONLY if i have the action URL hardcoded.  As soon as I add the individual InvoiceID into the URL, I get an error on the zap.

Does anyone know how to get this to work, if I update 2,000 rows on the spreadsheet at one time?  Is it possible for the POST in Webhooks to send 2,000 times?  I do not see why this wouldn’t work.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @davbross 

I do NOT recommend trying to add 2k rows to the GSheet at once.

Do in smaller batches.(100 MAX)

Make sure the mapped variable has no leading/trailing whitespace and the Invoice ID exists.

You may want to explore using this Zap app: Files by Zapier

https://zapier.com/apps/files-by-zapier/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Thanks Troy. I actually was able to write Javascript and run it right from the console, since I couldn't get zapier to work.