Question

Unable to handle optional guest email in MEWS

• 17 January 2024
  • 7 replies

I’ve set up a form to collect names etc. from companion guests. These are pulled via webhooks from the form and then created in MEWS. Works great so far.

In the form fields there's an option for an additional mailadress for companion guests. Not a must.

I would like to include the mail address (if provided!), but can’t figure out how to do this. When I add the placeholder for the mail address and the client leaves the field blank I get an error and the ZAP stops working.

Could anybody point me in the right direction? There must be a way to make this optional.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Roland M 

Can you show screenshots of the encountered error?

Check your Zap Runs history to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Can you post screenshots of the DATA IN/OUT from the Zap Run steps to give us more context?

I’ll check, but basically it’s only this:

1. I set the placeholder like shown in the screenshot above
  2. The client leaves the field blank
  3. the Zap stops cause it can’t pull a value

I can’t see an option to tell the zap to just move on if there’s no value

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Roland M 

You can try adding Paths: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288555917

Paths require a Zapier Pro+ plan.

Are you indicating that the Email field is the only field with a value? (static or dynamic mapped variable)

If so, then the error would likely be because the request has no data to send.

Thanks for your help!

I’m already working with paths and I’m on my step limit, so I’m trying to keep it simple as there would be extra steps for up to 5 guest profiles if I can’t manage to set this up within the existing steps.

There are 4 fields with values:
First name (mandatory)
Last Name (mandatory)
Birthdate (mandatory)
E-mail (optional)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Roland M 

It would be helpful if you posted more screenshots that show how your Zap steps are outlined and configured to give us full context as that may provide clues.

Alright, let’s see:

In this part I’m fetching the needed data from MEWS, then split the tasks in separate paths

Paths 2, 3 and 4 are working great. Path 1 is working great too (as long as I don't touch the “E-mail” field).
Here is path 1 (from 11. on steps are repeating if more guests are added to the webform)

In step 7. (and the equal repeating steps) I’m creating a customer in MEWS. Therefor I add the following mandatory fields 

- First name
- Last name
- birth date

So far all is good

In the last field on the screenshot (email) I can add the placeholder from the webform to add this to the customer profile in MEWS. this works fine, as long as the client adds this information. This is not mandatory! If it’s not provided, the ZAP stops cause it’s missing the value for e-mail.

The question is: Is there a way to add the mail only if provided within this steps. (Step limit)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Roland M 

Can you post screenshots of the DATA IN/OUT from the Zap Run steps to give us more context along with the encountered error message for that Zap step?

Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/