Best answer

Trouble creating spreadsheet-style-formula to compare data. Error: “The app returned "Invalid Syntax: Only numeric values are allowed"

• 4 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi.  I am trying to take some data from some output of two people and compare to see if they are the same person.  I need to compare the name in addition to the birthdate.  I am using a formatter with spreadsheet-style-formula to do it but I am getting an error that says “The app returned "Invalid Syntax: Only numeric values are allowed".  I am not sure how to format the input to get the result I need.  

Can someone help?  I am pretty new to this syntax.  I can’t tell if it needs quotes or not.  I have tried both ways.

Formula

=IF(AND(Rhonda Bailey=Suzy Q,01-08-1972=10-11-1990), “true”, “false”)

Thanks,  

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 5 April 2022, 00:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @RBailey 

Good question.

You are missing an ( after the AND, along with missing a closing )

That didn’t fix it.  I tried it both with and without the quotes. I had the parens in one of the versions I mentioned above.  I still get the same error.  

Formula

=IF(AND("Rhonda Bailey"="Suzy Q","01-08-1972"="10-11-1990"), “true”, “false”)

Formula

=IF(AND(Rhonda Bailey=Suzy Q,01-08-1972=10-11-1990), “true”, “false”)

It seems like it didn’t like “true” or “false”.  If I make them 1 and 0 it seems to work.  ?

That’s not really what I want but I guess I can make it work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RBailey 

Here’s how to use a JavaScript Code step to do the evaluation: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

INPUT

CODE

let P1 = inputData.P1; // Person 1
let P2 = inputData.P2; // Person 2

let D1 = inputData.D1; // Date 2
let D2 = inputData.D2; // Date 2

let Result = false;

if ((D1 == D2) && (P1 == P2)) {
Result = true;
}

output = [{Result, P1, P2, D1, D2}];

OUTPUT

Thanks.  Easy peasy.  Javascript was going to be what I looked into next.  You saved the trouble.  :-)

Rhonda