Question

Testing Zaps without a test endpoint

I am working on creating a Zap for an external API that does a POST request.  I have it working except for one minor detail: It sends it over twice. 

I was able to figure out the cause of this was that before it actually performs the Zap it does a test in the background to make sure it is going to work without error.  The API I am connecting to doesn’t have a test endpoint. It’s all live.  So the only way to get a 200 response and the test pass is to actually send a real POST request. 

I am wondering if anyone here has had any kind of a workaround for this so it isn’t sending over two POST requests. 

I appreciate the help

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @smitty68521 

Good question.

We’d need a better understanding of the API endpoint documentation you are referencing.

Hi Troy. This is an API for a “leads inbox” on a software program we use.  It only does a POST request. We don’t have an test endpoint that Zapier is suggesting when doing a test. So basically the test is the same as live and it sends over the lead twice from the form each time. 

I used the sample app for github and was able to get it to work on my end. But Github has a test endpoint and therefore isn’t posting the info each time it is tested. I was wondering if there is a workaround for that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@smitty68521 

We’d need to be linked to the API docs for the endpoint you are using in order to have more context.

I am confused on how much more context you need.  You are asking for the API docs on this endpoint and that isn’t something I can provide here publicly.  It’s a pretty straightforward question. If the api doesn’t have a test endpoint, are there any workarounds for testing the connection so it doesn’t send the POST request twice.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@smitty68521 
Often even if an API has a test endpoint, you still want to test the live endpoint to ensure the Zap is working as expected.

That were using test data can be helpful to trace and troubleshoot.

Without us being able to view the API endpoint docs you are using and how your Zap steps are configured (screenshots) we are limited in our ability to evaluate and advise.