Question

Still can't set individual user permissions in Google Drive?

• 17 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Sad to see that after 2 years, no apparent progress has been made on this:

The “Google Drive - Add File Sharing Preference” action still does not allow setting permissions for specific users.

Can’t do an API call using “Custom Request in Webhooks” either because it only supports basic auth, but Google Drive requires OAuth.

Why has nothing been done to address this in 2 years?

Does anyone know of a workaround that isn’t a nightmare to setup & maintain?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Ryautomator 

Good question.

Best to submit your feedback via a ticket to Zapier Support to be logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

FYI: Most apps on Zapier are built and maintained by the app developers themselves, not by Zapier, altho it’s likely Zapier maintains this Google Zap app integrations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Ryautomator! Appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Just to confirm so I can make sure to highlight the correct feature request on our end, you’re looking to be able to directly share access to a File to an individual user as if you were using the "Share+" button in Google Drive, correct? 

Userlevel 1

Hey @jesse, I’d settle for any way to share a file with a specific user. 

If the “Google Drive - Add File Sharing Preference” action could just be modified to allow specifying which user(s) to share with, by email address, and what their role(s) should be, that would make the most sense, I think.   

In the meantime, is there any way to run an API call using OAuth in Zapier? I can do exactly what I need from the Google Drive API Explorer...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Ryautomator 

the way to use OAuth is to build your own custom integration on Zapier Developer Platform which is very easy to use if you have some coding knowledge. 

Userlevel 1

Hey @MohSwellam 

Oof! I’d love to be the one to solve this problem for the community, but I’m not much of a coder.

If someone were to develop this as a custom integration, could it be shared?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey @Ryautomator , 

Short answer is no it couldn't be shared except with your Team on Zapier (even that has some guidelines).