Question

Replicating the data pass-through behavior of the webhook in a custom Action

• 6 July 2023
  • 0 replies

I would like to implement a custom action for sending data to the API of my application. My target users (mainly staff) aren’t particularly technical and there isn’t much need to massage the data from prior steps other than some filtering (which they can do!).

The primary function of the custom action is to let the user search for and find a destination container in our system. This is currently implemented as a dynamic dropdown using a trigger that also pull the value of an adjacent text field as the search query (there are thousands of these destination containers to pick from, searching the local page of results is not good enough). This is all working great.

However, instead of forcing the user to map data fields every time they setup the action, I’d like to have my system do all of that mapping. There isn’t a lot of nuance so it’s just an unnecessary step for the user. I imagine there a variety of ways to do this, but the one that seems the easiest on the face of it is replicating the data pass-through behavior of the webhook action. However, all of the bundle properties I’ve examined don’t seem to include this data. For instance, merely passing the entire bundle.inputData/inputDataRaw only seems to only grab fields for the current action.

Is there a way to implement this in the code for my custom api request? I know I could do the mapping myself once and then have folks duplicate the Zap, but if we need to adjust things after the fact then it’d be onerous to update all of the previously built Zaps and I want to keep it easy for my users/team.

p.s. I suppose another option (less preferable) is if I can programmatically map all the fields for them as a starting point. I wonder if this could be done with pre-fill url/wizard stuff?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.