Question

PDFfiller Filled Document Name Not Dynamic

• 16 August 2023
  • 7 replies

I am using a form fill on a website to collect data. In my first zap, I have a webhook to collect the data from the form fill. I am then using that data to automatically fill out a templated pdf in PDFFiller with the data from the form. Basic stuff, all working good. The main thing here is that I use some of the input data to build the file name of that filled pdf. See here:

Now where things get interesting is I have a second zap that takes that filled out pdf and uploads it to Google Drive. Everything works good, but it is forcing me to rename that file before it goes in Google Drive (Filled Document Name). The problem there is there is no dynamic field options in that trigger. So I have to enter a manual value.

OUTCOME: I want to use the same file name as is created in the first zap. The one in the first screenshot that says F209 - Incident Summary - VALUE 1 - VALUE 2). I tried Storage by Zapier to pull data from the first zap, but I would need it to be positioned before this trigger, which wouldn’t work obviously.

Any thoughts?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Brettrl 

Good question.

Why are you using 2 Zaps instead of 1 continuous Zap?

Hi @Troy Tessalone,

I am following the link in the alert that Zapier displays within the zap. The info linked can be found here: https://static.pdffiller.com/zapier/zapier-async-create-and-download.pdf

It mentions having two zaps to accomplish this.

Is there a better way to achieve this?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Brettrl 

Perhaps try this Zap trigger: pdfFiller - New Document

Hmm I tried that, but then there is no file option (unless I am looking at the wrong thing) These are the options available to me:

Normally, I see an actual file prompt in the options like I did with the Document Copied in pdfFiller trigger. With the New Document trigger, I don’t.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Brettrl

Try adding this Zap action: pdfFiller - Download Document

You may need to use the ID returned from the Zap trigger.

Hi @Troy Tessalone,

Thank you for helping me troubleshoot this. This is the message that appears in the Zap:

When I try the Download Document action with the ID, it returns the following error:

My guess what is happening is what is stated in the important notice by Zapier. It can’t find the document right away, so it fails.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Brettrl 

If there is no file url or file object. (e.g. File (Exists but not shown)) form the Zap trigger, then perhaps try this Zap action: pdfFiller - Find Document

Or you can try reaching out to pdfFiller Support for guidance.

Otherwise, you may need to explore a different PDF app.