Question

Passing Date fields from Asana to Smartsheet

I have developed a series of zaps to pass data back and forth between Asana and Smartsheet. However, dates values are not being captured. The GID of the two custom properties are below:

{"gid":"1204157135060130","name":"Material Deadline","resource_subtype":"date","resource_type":"custom_field","type":"date","is_formula_field":false},

{"gid":"1204157139710892","name":"Material Event Start Date","resource_subtype":"date","resource_type":"custom_field","type":"date","is_formula_field":false},

When I attempt to push the date values to Smartsheet columns it returns the below from “Data In”:

“Data In” - Asana Task Creates Smartsheet Row. These are the errors for custom date fields.

Similarly, when I use webhooks to send the information back to Asana it just says “No Data” despite there being a value in the smartsheet cell. 

Has anyone experienced this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Brendan Flavin 

Good question.

It would help if you could post full detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to give us proper context.

Does this help? You can see two fields show “no data” when those actually had dates in them:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Brendan Flavin

When testing with the Zap ON, check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

In the Zap Editor, these mapped variables show “No data” from the selected Asana Task example in the trigger step.

Help article about how to change trigger test data: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093

Thank you, this is why I was sharing that “Data In” screen shot above. I can see that these values are being passed from Asana to Smartsheet for these fields. I am not sure how to interpret these values - the second value after “data” is the GID of those fields.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Brendan Flavin 

When you see the {{variable_placeholder}} in a Zap action for the DATA IN of a Zap Run, it either means:

1. The mapped variable is no longer valid
  2. The mapped variable value was blank/empty/null

Interesting. When I review the trigger test data I can see the GID and values below, but it still says no data when I use this in the action:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Brendan Flavin 

The most recent screenshot is from the Zap Editor.

You need to check the Zap Runs to see the DATA OUT from the Zap trigger step.

That will help you understand why the mapped variable had no value.

Thanks Troy,

I was using that screen shot to show that the field has a value based on the test trigger data (there is a gid 1204157135060130, a name “Material Start Date” and a date value: 2023-05-30).

However, the variable placeholder from a “DATA IN” is indicating that there is no value.

Given that there is the issue with DATA IN then DATA OUT is not going to have a value either. 

This seems to indicate there is an issue mapping the date value of the property. I’m just not sure how to troubleshoot that further.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Brendan Flavin

Each Asana Task is different, which is why you have to reply on the Zap Run data as that’s live data.

If you need help troubleshooting, consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts/automation-ace

@Troy Tessalone 

Thank you. I’ve been working through this with some colleagues and they seem to think Zapier is pulling in the null value from “date_time” from the Asana Property, when we really want it to pull in the “date” value which is populated.

Is there a way to direct Zapier to use the other value?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Brendan Flavin

You’d need to adjust the mapped variable to the the property of the desired custom field from the Zap trigger step. (e.g. XXX__date_value__date)