Question

Onedrive - update sharing links of files with specific requirements

• 5 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello, 

I am wondering how to automate the process of updating sharing links for OneDrive files located within one folder and secured by unique passwords. These files are located in corporate OneDrive and shared with external users using option "share the link with anyone", so I need to adhere to the following rules:

a) The sharing link for each file needs to be refreshed every 30 days to remain active.

b) Whenever I update the sharing settings of a file, the shared file link should remain identical to the previous one. (Each file already has its unique link, so I can only modify the sharing settings related to the link's duration.)

c) Each file has its own unique password, which cannot be altered each time the sharing settings are updated - password has to be exactly the same as the previous one.

Could you guide me if there is a possibility to simply automate this process using advanced options of Zappier? If so, could you provide me any instruction how to configure it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @RafaelK, welcome to the Community!

I couldn’t see any “Create or Update file share link” type of actions available for OneDrive that would allow you to do this. I couldn’t see any existing feature requests for this functionality so I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team to ask that they open up a feature request on your behalf. You can do that here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

In the meantime, it looks like the OneDrive has an endpoint available that could allow you to create a share link for a file (Create a sharing link for a DriveItem) and another to update the permissions (Update sharing permission). So you could potentially use OneDrive’s API Request (Beta) action to make a request to OneDrive’s API to create a share link and/or update the permissions for a file. It’s a bit more advanced then using the standard OneDrive actions as it would involve setting up the webhook request but if that’s something you’re interested in exploring further you can learn more here: Set up an API Request action 

Hope that helps. Please do keep us updated on how you get on! 🙂

@SamB Thank you very much for help.