Best answer

Never Replay Advanced Setting Not Working for Webhooks

• 5 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

https://www.loom.com/share/90f5c786e1354b248a68d9de9e4cd6f2?sid=08b24937-b25c-4c98-b88e-f1be07e85bf6

It appears the zap is resending "failed" webhooks 10minutes after the initial send, which it should not be doing since "Never Replay" is enabled, which is causing the 3rd party automation which logs to the Google sheet to run twice since it gets triggered from the webhook sending from Zapier

Is this a bug on Zapier’s end or is there anything I can do on the configuration side to stop this?

icon

Best answer by tpretori 8 March 2024, 00:15

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tpretori 

Try using the new feature available for custom error handling: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/22495436062605-Set-up-custom-error-handling

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks Troy, unfortunately I have not been invited to that closed beta so I can’t use error handling.

Do you or does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tpretori 

Try adding Paths and create your own custom error handling after the Zap step that can error.

2 Paths.

• Path A Filter condition if a value is returned
  • Path B Filter condition if a value is not returned
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What I have found out after checking our logs is actually related to the way our delay process is designed.  In the back end of things, Delay does a very similar process than a replay would.

After the delay step hits the release time, the process goes over any 'unplayed' steps in the Zap until it hits the delay stage and then continues with the rest of the workflow.

Because our process does not recognize the timeout as an actual error, it defaults to try sending your POST again as it was never technically labeled as an 'error' as such. Since the HTTP call has no status, it tries to process again. 

This was the feedback from Zapier support.

Based on this feedback I moved the delay and subsequent steps into a sub-zap, which worked to solve the issue.

I suggested this to support and this was their thoughts on why it would work:

It's possible that creating a sub-zap with a delay and subsequent steps might help in this situation. The idea behind this is to isolate the delay and subsequent steps from the main zap. This way, if there is a timeout on the webhook, the sub-zap will not be triggered again.

This method essentially makes your main zap and sub-zap work together, but the sub-zap will only run when it's triggered by the main zap. If the webhook times out, it shouldn't trigger the sub-zap again.